flash/strobe suggestion.

the hank

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im shopping around for a new/used flash. i have been checking ebay and im set on a Vivitar 285hx. Im not sure why but it seems to be quite powerfull and sought after?(and good for the price)

I will settle for pretty much anything that will do a good job and last. It will primarily be used as a slave on a tripod for BMX photos.
Budget is around $50-60bucks.(+I still have to pay overseas shipping)
Can anyone suggest something similar/better to the Vivitar? Nikon strobes are way out of my range.

As I mentioned in another thread... careful. The latest batch have high failure rates. If you do pick one up, make sure its not one of those that will fail within 50 flashes. Purchase from a reputable place which will honor the warranty, as there are many that aren't.

For me, I have a strong Nikon bias, and would not mind investing in a good flash. I already own the SB-800, and if I did add another battery powered strobe, it would be another SB-800. They are considered the best strobes on the market anywhere, and from what I have seen with my flash, I understand why. ;) I can light up across an entire dark indoor arena from half way up in the stands on one side, to half way up on the stands on the other side (shooting across the narrow side, of course)... and thats with the flash on 1/2 power. I am not kidding.

I would definitely suggest looking around where you live before deciding you HAVE to buy off Ebay. Shipping and duty/brokerage fees can be a real pain, and sometimes make it not a "deal" at all!

I wanted the same thing as you - posted on free sell/buy sites (like Craigslist and Kijiji) that I was looking for a few different models of flash...ended up with a Nikon sb-24 and 25 for the same as they were selling on ebay (if not a little less) and I got to see/try it out, didn't have to wait, and no surprise fees. You would be surprised what people have in their basements...

I will not buy off Ebay. The Nikon SB-800 is fantastic, but the SB-600 deserves a worthy look. But then, as JerryPH, I am Nikon biased as far as adding on to my system.

Im shopping around for a new/used flash. i have been checking ebay and im set on a Vivitar 285hx. Im not sure why but it seems to be quite powerfull and sought after?(and good for the price)

I will settle for pretty much anything that will do a good job and last. It will primarily be used as a slave on a tripod for BMX photos.
Budget is around $50-60bucks.(+I still have to pay overseas shipping)
Can anyone suggest something similar/better to the Vivitar? Nikon strobes are way out of my range.

Sunpak 383. As powerful as the Vivitar 285HV, faster recycle time, swivel head and cheaper usually by about $10.00.

@ JerryPH thanks for the advice, sounds like (nikon) its an awesome flash. Where Im from the SB600 is ridiculaly expensive, not that i would spend that kind on many on a flash (im not a pro), thanks again for the info on the dud Vivitars.....

@ confucious, where im from there isnt really anything available second hand, most goods are imported privately. Its been tuff finding anything!

@gryphonslair99
I will defintly check out the sunpak, ive heard of them around here but never really seen much or know anything about em.

Im scrounging around for some SB24 and SB25's will see what i can find.
Affordable recomendations are still welcome!
THANKS all.

Keep an eye out for a SB-28. I shot BMX and similar stuff also. I purchased cactus v2 wireless triggers and i get amazing shots. After one shot you will never use the flash on camera again!

Keep an eye out for a SB-28. I shot BMX and similar stuff also. I purchased cactus v2 wireless triggers and i get amazing shots. After one shot you will never use the flash on camera again!

Thats my plan, i have them cactus remotes on the way. Husstling for flashs now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back