flattening and chemistry (newbie q's)

brainplug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just graduated from art school and lucked into a very nice darkroom that hasn't been used in probably thirty years. My goal is to get it up and running, and so far two big questions have come to mind.

Firstly, is there a safe way to dispose of old chemistry? There are quite a few half full bottles of mystery liquids, and I know my predecessor printed colour, so these are likely pretty toxic.

Secondly, is there a good method to flatten fibre prints? Would ironing work, or could I just leave them under a couple of encyclopaedias for a while? I don't wish to mount them, just flatten.
Thanks.

A few heavy books for a week seems to do pretty good for me. I didn't like ironing when I tried it.

Be careful, though. I've had prints stick to books, ripping off the emulsion. Of course, I dunno if it applies to those types of prints, but it usually seemed to happen when the humidity got high.

JamesD said:
Be careful, though. I've had prints stick to books, ripping off the emulsion. Of course, I dunno if it applies to those types of prints, but it usually seemed to happen when the humidity got high.
Interleave with silicon release paper then you won't have that problem.

Gosh, it's easy to find, and in all sizes and roll/cut versions. Just run a quick google search on "release paper" and watch what happens. ;)

Probably anything that's "no stick" will be helpful in that regard - I bet plain old waxed paper could work, too, providing you didn't leave it in there too long. hmmm...

Silicon release paper doesn't leave a residue and it's pretty inert - which is why it's to be preferred - and it's re-useable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back