Flickr...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, my Flickr "Pro" account has expired.

Any real sense in renewing it? What do I gain over the free version?

Thanks.

Yeah, I just use Flickr as a place to house photos for use on the web.

Looks like "free" is the way to go...

Same here, no nood to go PRO.

The only thing you miss are the statistics... which were not quite in depth as I want to have statistics.

Last summer, rumours told us that free accounts would get lots of ads on their pages.
Still no ads ...

Flickr changed their whole business model a half a year or so ago - likely to deal with the fact that places like facebook were starting to become serious competition. So instead of running off paid accounts they shifted to running off free accounts with adverts. So really there isn't any need to renew a pro account and flickrs stats are not really all that interesting.

I and many others have been very frustrated with flickr because you can no longer upload videos. I finally figured out a method of doing it however they keep doing things that bug me. What else is out there that allow one to upload photos, videos and provide some decent stats? I would prefer something that shows thumbnails and not that annoying "river of photos" scheme that flickr started using several months ago. In other words much like the old flickr once was with perhaps better stats.

Consider me weird, but I'm keeping pro because I know that if I go "Free" I'll never have the chance to buy pro again.

When you're paying for something there's a certain expectation on both sides. I'll pay the ~2 bucks/mo or whatever, just in case FlickR decides not to be so generous with their free accounts in the future.

Unless you had automatic payments set up, I don't think it is even possible to renew your pro account. (Unless that changed recently)

I think mine is up in June or something ... not really sure anymore. I did have the automatic renewals set up, so I should be able to keep it if I wanted to, not sure what I'm going to do. Keeping it is cheaper than the 'ad-free' option ($50 a year).

Not sure if I really "need" the unlimited storage though (I wonder if there's a way to check how much you have on there already...?).

I've been using the free account since I've been seriously into photography. And since they updated to give you 1TB of space, there's not need to pay in my opinion.

But for me.. 1TB will take forever to fill because I don't post all my shots online.

1TB free is good. I use AdBlock Plus so not sure if there are ads. It is a little slow sometimes, but you can't beat the price!

My "Pro" account expired a while ago. I do miss the statistics, but like said above, they were never up to par. It never told me where my photo hits were really coming from.

I and many others have been very frustrated with flickr because you can no longer upload videos. I finally figured out a method of doing it however they keep doing things that bug me.

If you upload every single frame of your video as a photo, and you scroll through your photostream really fast at +20 photos a second, than you should see some movement, though :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back