Focal length and depth of field

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read something the other day that said something to effect of, wider lenses produce greater depth of field. I'm trying to wrap my head around what this means in practice.

Lets say for example that I shot something at 25mm, f/5. Then I moved back about 10 feet or so and shot the same subject at 50mm, f/5. Lets say that I was able to compose the exact same shot (or very similar) with the longer lense as I did with the wider lense and physically closer to the subject. So in other words I have 2 photos, same composition, same aperture, different focal lengths.

Is the depth of field going to appear deeper or shallower in either of the pictures based on the differing focal lengths? Is this question making sense? :)

Jason

By design, UWA lenses give a greater DoF even at wide apetures moreso than "normal" lenses. I've never attained bokeh with my 12-24mm.

This was taken at 12mm, f/4.5. It's not much of a comparison because I don't have a subject close, but I like the photo. :biggrin:

Dao - that calculator is neat. Great visual tool plus it's neat how you can pick the actual camera you use.

Has anyone found a depth of field calculator for the PocketPC? I understand how it all works together, but it would be nice to have a "starting" point in the field until I get used to each of my lenses.

Rod

According to the calculator, a 25mm lens at f/4.5 produces 9.9ft of DoF, while a 55m lens at 4.5 produces a DoF of 1.7ft.

This answers my question perfectly, thanks DAO!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back