Foolin' about with a strobe

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Noir-ish lighting on purpose, in case that's not clear. C+C welcome, o' course. She looks a bit like she's just shot Miles Archer, but I assure you she's actually watching Peter Pan.

$Noir1.jpg

I get it was on purpose, but I dunno about the very dark left side of her face. Would of liked just a lick more light in there to bright out some minimal detail. As it is, it looks like she has half a face.
Maybe a second flash in the back to create a rim light that will better cut her out of the dark background?

Noir-ish lighting on purpose, in case that's not clear. C+C welcome, o' course. She looks a bit like she's just shot Miles Archer, but I assure you she's actually watching Peter Pan.

View attachment 33162

Was it a bare flash? Not bad, but I think it needed to be a little higher to catch the top of her head more and then to fall off more on the shirt. You can probably knock down the bright hearts w/ a gradient mask layer, and maybe even bring up the hair with another one, so you're within the realm of the fixable.

Was it a speedlight or a monolight? If a speedlight, I saw someone here made a snoot/grid from corplast. Perfect for a shot like this.

Noir light is VERY hard and VERY directional, so take it to that next level and snoot and/or grid it.

Finally, to really get the noir pop, you need some kind of a context... a prop of some kine. a steel desk, or chair, a swivel desk lamp, a fedora, a toy gun, or an old graflex ;-)

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, it was a bare Vivitar 585 (I think that's the number it ain't in front of me). I do snoot the thing with a newspaper sometimes, but not on this day. Good suggestion!

I am flattered to be compared with Weegee! I can't find the exact image you're referring to, but I definitely see the similarity in the lighting. He was using a giant flash bulb just up and to the left of the lens which is.. hey, wait, that's where I was holding the Vivitar! Totally unconscious. I'm sure I picked this one out of the pile specifically because it had that 1930s paparazzi look, though, since that's the flavor I was poking around for.

Thanks, Derrel. I'm always happy to get the references sorted out, especially in my own photos!

Ima get some shirts printed up with "Derrel is my homeboy" on 'em. Who wants one?

Derrel, of course, would be entitled to royalties, no?

Most reactions

Back