For Tired Iron.... and anyone else who likes this stuff.

baturn

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Snaps taken at Reynolds Alberta Museum, Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
I don't know anything about these except they are kinda cool. Maybe some one can explain the fruit on the front of #s 1 and 2.

DSC_4248.jpg

DSC_4250.jpg

DSC_4252.jpg

DSC_4254.jpg

DSC_4258.jpg

DSC_4262.jpg

DSC_4266.jpg

DSC_4271.jpg

Smart angle on #6

Those are some rare birds right there.

These are great! Agree with Brsineack on the angle on #6. By the the bulldog on the front of the last two are we to assume this was the predecessor to Mack trucks? :chuncky:

Nice and a great place to visit though I've not been in a long time. The fruit motif on the smoke box door is the logo of a rather obscure company whose name escapes me ATM.

I don't know anything about these machines. These were displayed without any description on the drive into and out of the museum. If anyone could enlighten us???

the first two are of a horse-drawn portable steam engine. Moved by a team, it would provide stationary power for a threshing machine, sawmill, etc... the maker escapes me, and I can't get to my book that would tell me... The next two are of a Westinghouse engine; same purpose as the first two, but a slightly different design.

#5 is (I believe, hard to tell with so much missing) a Twin-City kerosene tractor. The engine, hood, etc are missing. This was a large tractor; probably 25-30 bhp!

#6 is a Minneapolis steam traction engine; probably a 50hp. In addition to being able to provide stationary power like the first two engines, these were self-propelled, so could also do field work and move themselves and say threshing rig from field to field.

The last two are of an Avery 'undermount' steam traction engine. identical in purpose to the Minneapolis, this design was more reminiscent of steam locomotives of the era and had the engine mounted in the frame under the boiler rather than on top.

Sorry you asked now? :D

the first two are of a horse-drawn portable steam engine. Moved by a team, it would provide stationary power for a threshing machine, sawmill, etc... the maker escapes me, and I can't get to my book that would tell me... The next two are of a Westinghouse engine; same purpose as the first two, but a slightly different design.

#5 is (I believe, hard to tell with so much missing) a Twin-City kerosene tractor. The engine, hood, etc are missing. This was a large tractor; probably 25-30 bhp!

#6 is a Minneapolis steam traction engine; probably a 50hp. In addition to being able to provide stationary power like the first two engines, these were self-propelled, so could also do field work and move themselves and say threshing rig from field to field.

The last two are of an Avery 'undermount' steam traction engine. identical in purpose to the Minneapolis, this design was more reminiscent of steam locomotives of the era and had the engine mounted in the frame under the boiler rather than on top.

Sorry you asked now? :D

Thanks John.

Wow, those are the reasons I like going to museums alone. I can spend the time looking over what I like / interested in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back