Forgetting something so small!

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dont you hate when you forget something?
Last friday I did a photo shoot at the beach with my gal.
I forgot to cover the viewfinder when I walked away to get into the picture (10 sec timer)

Any of the pros ever forget to do this? hehe

<-- Confused :confused:

Cover the viewfinder? I have no idea what you are talking about with that.

Not covering the viewfinder is not going to do anything noticable to your photos unless its a long exposure at night, even then I feel it doesn't do much.

Actually there is a noticable difference if (not over exposure tho, but a difference)
I tested today.
If the sun directly hits the view finder then it makes ur images brighter

I have a Canon Rebel XTi, the neck strat that came with it, has a rubber piece on the strap used to cover the view finder. You will notice the rubber around it comes off.

Page 153 of the user manual for the XTi

I know cuz I read it hehe...

"if you take a picture without looking at the viewfinger, light entering the eyepiece can throw off the exposure. To prevent this, use the eyepiece cover attached to the camera strap."

It seems to be ok if the viewfinder is in the shade, no noticable difference, but if the camera is pointing away from the sun, the viewfinder is being lit up by the sun, sun gets into the optics/mirror and onto the sensor i assume...

Wow never read that in the manual LOL - I'll have to try it as I do a few long exposures Just went and checked the strap to see if the cover was on it - always wondered what that bit was for :D

You can also use the exposure lock control once you've setup the shot.

Wow, I never heard of this viewfinder issue! I'm going to test it with my Nikon!

Speaking of forgetting things.. I got down to the lake with my girl, I brought my tripod and everything so we could get some shots of us together. But I forgot the little adapter which connects the camera to the tripod (I have a very cheap tripod, not sure if higher end units have this). Anyway, the tripod is unusable without this adapter. Doh!

The Nikon D60 is sold with the viewfinder cap included....

Most reactions

Back