format to delete?

mapgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One simple, possibly dumb question: I was told in a digital class that the best way to delete images from memory was to format (re-format) instead of using "delete." Is this true? Are there any ill effects from formatting over and over? (OK, two questions).

thanks.

It does the same thing as far as I can see. The format may organize the memory space a little more efficiency, but you should only need to do this occasionally.

Format I think renders the files totally unrestorable - as opposed to delete where recovery software can get them back (not 100%, but near enough)
Also it tend to wipe all those little bits of data that get left around in the card- test yourself, delete the contents of a card and then check its size - then format and check again. The format removes more data - though we are talking small byts of data they can soon add up!

The advice I've heard is that formatting is the better option. Some claim that repeated deleting without formatting can cause corrupt data. I just always format, and have never had any problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back