Formula One 2010 | Comments appreciated.

rangerman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All comments welcome
4488624137_2048ab9ed3_o.jpg

was it going full speed in that photo?

kinda wish all of the car was in the photo but i love the colors !

almost looks like your watching tv with that f1 thing in the top left

freeze3kgt: my secret, well not really a secret anyway ; was at the corners, while the cars are slower, making my panning easier. at full speed, my skills are below par.

:D i was thinking that ^^, only because getting a car going 100mph in focus is hard enough... have no idea what trying to get a f1 doing probably like 180ish is like... how fast do they go on straightaways?

on the straights, they are probably 200-280 km/h (sometimes more), I'm sure my shutter speed have to be 1/160s but I'll make the wheel look static, slower, I need steady hands. I should be using a monopod, perhaps next year. :lol:

:D i was thinking that ^^, only because getting a car going 100mph in focus is hard enough... have no idea what trying to get a f1 doing probably like 180ish is like... how fast do they go on straightaways?

i want one!
Here is a 1991 Benneton that is lots cheaper to buy and to run:

Only $902,000 USD, a real bargain.

1991 Benetton B191-5 "Schuhmacher´s first F1 car!" Race Ready Spec Sheet

Better still for about $16,000 new, just get a shifter kart:

• 405lbs, w/driver (minimum racing weight)
  • 6 speed
  • 40 HP, water cooled, 125cc, 2 cycle, rotary valve induction Honda engine, running a mix of 108 octane racing gas and castor oil.
  • top end 130 mph
  • corner like you wouldn't believe.
A properly set-up shifter can do: 0 mph - 100 mph - 0 mph in 10 seconds and can easily out accelerate and corner a Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Ask me how I know!

I didn't really expect anyone to ask, because the answer is kind of self evident.

Been there, done that.

All of the guys in the Corvette club were super ticked their $75,000 Z06's couldn't even come close to out autocrossing our shifter karts.

I only autocrossed the karts a couple of times. It's pretty boring compared to side-by-side, nose-to-tail kart racing.

Not many people appreciate how quick racing karts are, even the 100 cc, 12 hp, single gear, centrificle clutched karts. On a long track the 100cc karts are hitting about 95 mph and corner just about as good as a shifter. They just don't get from corner to corner quite as quickly.

Edit: I found a blurb on part of the reason shifter karting came to the US.

Michael explained to Bob that shifter karts were the "closest thing to a Formula 1 racecar"

http://www.bondurant.com/kart_school/about_the_school.php

Last edited:
Wow Rangerman thats an amazing capture of an F1 car, probably one of the best I have seen.

I have a few questions, what was your setup to get this, lens, body and settings. Probably the sharpest panning shot I have ever seen, almost like the car was actually sitting still with a radial blur applied to the tyres, shopped onto a another still shot of a track with motion blur applied.

As they say, get it right in camera.

Why does the front tyre on the rumble strip look like its at about 50% opacity, same with the mirror area on the same side, is that some sort of optical illusion, I cant for the life of me think how that could happen if the car was essentially in the same place in the frame for the duration of the pan and still have the car itself sharp?

So many questions, but I am sure you will have some really great answers or perhaps someone else could clarify for me, I would love to able to get an image like this myself. ;)

I'll try to tell:
the car was taken at a corner, with slower speed and easier panning.
The motion blur is real (see the background).
The radial blur on front was enhanced. At the corners, some drivers brake earlier than others so it's tough. As I wanted more drama, I enhanced the wheels.
The watermark was added.

I used 80-200mm f2.8 for this shot. Using a NIKON. Shot at 150mm (approx).

I panned it at 1/125s (my 1/80s shots are affected with minor hand shake, I removed them. ) I shot without a monopod/tripod.

On the straights, I get half the size of the car, unless I increase to 200mm but the lens have no VR and I could had nailed it better with a monopod.
The straights have fences that always prove a distraction.

This was not on the straights, but RED BULL going to pit-lane (slow speed). The barricade was distracting as well.
4484750496_6a9ec3fe1a_o.jpg

Wow Rangerman thats an amazing capture of an F1 car, probably one of the best I have seen.

I have a few questions, what was your setup to get this, lens, body and settings. Probably the sharpest panning shot I have ever seen, almost like the car was actually sitting still with a radial blur applied to the tyres, shopped onto a another still shot of a track with motion blur applied.

As they say, get it right in camera.

Why does the front tyre on the rumble strip look like its at about 50% opacity, same with the mirror area on the same side, is that some sort of optical illusion, I cant for the life of me think how that could happen if the car was essentially in the same place in the frame for the duration of the pan and still have the car itself sharp?

So many questions, but I am sure you will have some really great answers or perhaps someone else could clarify for me, I would love to able to get an image like this myself. ;)

This was shot right after the corners as drivers starts to accelerate. The focus landed on the wheels more than the car. But I still liked it.

I think it's 200mm with this shot, perhaps cropped a bit.
The background blur is real.

4488263159_2e29def3d7_o.jpg

Most reactions

Back