Four/Thirds Question

kbeelitz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Unless I've missed something, it's my understanding that with the 4/3rds system, I can add any camera lense I want?

Instead of buying Olympus lense for the Olympus body, I can buy a Canon lense for the Olympus body? ...and b/c of the 4/3rds system it will be compatible?

Is this making sense to anyone? Could someone clear this up for me please.

Thanks in advance

Not as far as I know, it's just another mounting system. It is however an interchangeable and open standard which means there are a few manufacturers which are part of the standard now. I believe Leica makes lenses for the system and Panasonic makes their Lumix bodies 4/3 compatible as well.

I don't know why they suddenly decided there needs to be a standard for this, Canon and Nikon have got on 60+ years without supporting each others lenses, I doubt they'd start now.

One thing that I noted on a quick google search though was that the focal distance of 4/3 lenses is closer than standard lenses. This means you may be able to get 4/3 to Canon EF or 4/3 to Nikon F adapters without losing infinity focus, but you still lose autofocus and it won't work on all lenses depending on how the aperture is controlled.

The converters are ~ $400 and will only work for the brand they are made for, ie., Canon/Oly or Nikon/Oly...

Unless you have old glass, there is no need to look outside the 4/3 family of lens manufacturers :)

Cheers, Don

I now shoot a Lumix L1, which is a 4/3 mount. I can use Leica lenses made for it or I can use the Olympus 4/3 lenses on the body. I currently have the Leica 14-50 zoom (which is the equivalent of a 28-100 zoom in 35mm film terms) and I also have the Olympus 40-150 zoom. Sigma also makes some lenses in the 4/3 mount.

The Leica zoom is one of the best zooms I have ever used. Leica also makes a 25mm 1.4 lens, but it is expensive and hard to find. I actually found one in Canada for 800.00 and ordered it, but the damn thing was lost in the mail. :grumpy: It was insured, but still, it was a pain in the ass.

I have finally decided to order the Sigma 30 1.4, which is very affordable.
I also have on back order the new Olympus 25 2.8 pancake lens, which, with it's extremely compact size, should make the L1 an even better street shooter.

Thank you all for your time and your help. You guys have cleared up my confussion.

Rick: sorry about your lense.

Most reactions

Back