Frame Advise

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure the category to post in, if this the wrong one I apologize.

My question is I have some large 16x20 linen embossed prints mounted on backing board. Because of their size and the available space to display, I elected to construct some narrow edge frames, and not use a mat. I'm now at the point where I need to decide if I use glass, acrylic or nothing at all. I have some lightweight acrylic on hand that I tried, but it's really reflective and doesn't look good. Glass is going to get extremely heavy, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of glass in the area where these will be displayed. The other concern is that with out the use of mats, the print will be in direct contact with the glazing. So the question is, does it really matter if don't use glazing??? This will be in a home setting without exposure to UV from large windows.

I would still use a mat, just cut it back enough so that it's hidden by the frame. This will give a stand-off for the print and prevent it from coming in contact with the "glass". I would use 2mm anti-reflective glass. It will cost a little more, but won't scratch, is very light, and relatively reflection-free.

I understand about your not wanting to use glass or acrylic, so leave it unglazed. If you're concerned about how well the prints will hold up over time, you can simply plan on re-printing them after a couple of years.

I would use 2mm anti-reflective glass.

Yikes!!!! Just checked on the cost of the glass. It's more than the cost of the prints

I understand about your not wanting to use glass or acrylic, so leave it unglazed. If you're concerned about how well the prints will hold up over time, you can simply plan on re-printing them after a couple of years.

These will be going in a ground floor, home bar area next to a media room, where the chance of something being bumped might be an issue. Just found out the cost for a good quality glass is actually more then the cost of the print. Guess that answers my question.

For quality framing the print is usually the least costly part of the assembly.

What kind/grade of backing board is the print on and how was the print attached?
Is the print an inkjet print?
Or is it a textured C-print? A C-print paper print run through a machine to give it a linen like texture like what Nations photo lab sells.

Last edited:
What kind/grade of backing board is the print on and how was the print attached?

Single Weight Matboard (14 ply). Mounted by the lab (Nations Photo). Linen texture

Last edited:
. . . I elected to construct some narrow edge frames . . .
Did you use wood to make the frames?

I would not put glazing in front of the prints you got, but I would use spacers to keep the print away from a wood frame.
However, without glazing the texture embossed into the paper is going to provide traction for dust to adhere to the print.
Dust often.
As far as weight, acrylic is used instead of glass when weight is a concern.

Some background info:

Regular mat/mount board is made of wood pulp based paper.
Lignin, the binding polymer in wood, breaks down over time and produces acid.
The problem with acid is that it migrates. Once it seeps out of an acid bearing material it can contaminate anything it comes into contact with.
Wood pulp based mat/mount board manufactured for picture framing is usually put through a bath of calcium carbonate to neutralize it against the acidity that occurs when the lignin breaks down. Over time, even neutralized wood pulp based mat/mount board starts to get acidic.
Quality (archival) mat/mount board is made from lignin free cotton/alpha cellulose fibers (Rag mat/mount board).

That the mount board Nations used is 14-ply, and not 4-ply, makes me wonder about acid neutralization and the quality of the material.

C-prints have a shorter life than inkjet prints. By themselves, Kodak Endura C-prints can last for 100 years if framed properly and protected from UV light and other contaminants.
Mounting the print across it's entire rear surface further diminishes the life span of the print. As the mount board gets more acidic over time it can't be changed. Hinge mounting a print allows replacement of the mount and lets the print expand and contract with temperature and humidity variations.
Framing the print with wood has the potential to shorten the lifespan of the print even more because of the lignin in the wood.

Did you use wood to make the frames?

The prints are from a couple of nearby waterfalls, the frames are made from old scrap pallet wood, no paint.

Nations used is 14-ply

Couldn't find anything on their site about the material used. Some of my prints are ordered on single ply. Some on foam core, some without either. These two prints are actually free prints, (originals that were replaced due to corner damage in transit), the good ones are stored away till I decide what to do with them. Once in the frame, the damage doesn't really show unless you get close.

Kodak Endura C-prints

Everything printed on Kodak Endura.

but I would use spacers to keep

Will check on the spacers today, thanks for tip.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back