Frankfurt at night....

fotobandini

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, this was my first attempt at shooting during the night. I took the U-bahn into the city and here's the best of the bunch. I quickly realized the importance of a tripod or at least a stable platform to shoot off of (i know im a noob). I spent most of my time experimenting with different shutter speeds. Anyways, I had a really fun time and the next day i went out and picked up a cheap tripod and am looking forward to shooting more at night in the future. Hopefully then ill be able to take more shots of the city that do a better job in identifying it than these do, if that makes any sense.

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

That first one here of the station is really good!
Congratulations to venturing into nighttime photography. It is a lot of fun (as you already noticed) and when the results are good, I feel it is even more satisfying than daytime photos turning out well!
So I actually quite like the inclusion of the whatever-it-is on which you rested the camera to get that first photo, it catches some nice reflections, too. And the blurry train adds to the overall feeling of "station - a busy place".

The next one is an attempt taken at the highest possible ISO your camera offers you, I should think, and it still is way underexposed. So a tripod IS the next thing on your to-buy-list, I assume ;). So you can expose for longer and avoid the noise that automatically comes with high ISO-settings.

More so since the last clearly shows the typical camera shake that is unavoidable in nighttime photography done without anything on which to steady the camera. But it looks like a VERY promising beginning :D.

Are you interested in seeing my (meanwhile no longer new) nighttime pics taken in Hamburg in summer? You could find them here - combined with some explanation on how I took them and what I experienced.

LaFoto said:
The next one is an attempt taken at the highest possible ISO your camera offers you, I should think, and it still is way underexposed. So a tripod IS the next thing on your to-buy-list, I assume ;). So you can expose for longer and avoid the noise that automatically comes with high ISO-settings.

Hi thanks for your comments and suggestions! I was wondering why that one turned out looking so funky! When i was shooting there was no way i could go over a 1.3 second exposure while holding the camera without experiencing a heavy amount of blur. I have now experienced the negative affects (noise) of shooting with a high ISO at night. I looked at your photos from Hamburg and they are very impressive. How everything is distinguishable, wow really good. I also checked out your settings and probably will use that as my base to go off of next time i shoot. Once again thanks for your words of wisdom!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back