Free-lance?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by nealjpage, Feb 23, 2007.

1. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so I'm not sure where this thread belongs :er:, but I figured that I'd put it here. I was at a concert the other day, and was dismayed that I couldn't bring a camera into the auditorium. Then I saw all of the "pro" photographers down near the front and I wondered, "Hey, how do I get to do that?" So, since I didn't have any answers for myself, I figured I'd ask all of you. I assume that many of them were free-lancers, but how do they get the clearance to get down front to shoot pictures of great bands when I have to sit in the back and not take any pics at all?

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The glories of press passes

3. nealjpage

Photos OK to edit
    How do I get one of those???:hail:

4. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you have to work for a newspaper, magazine, etc.

If not, I'm all over it too. ;)

The problem is that once you get the press pass, you don't own your own images any more.

5. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you were to graduate from the New York Institute of Photography you get a free 'press pass'. However, I imagine if you were to go to a big event with that pass... they'd laugh in your face.

I would try phoning the venue and asking if there was any way you could go take pictures. Perhaps they'd issue a pass.

6. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why not found your own magazine and issue yourself a press pass?

7. nealjpage

Photos OK to edit
    There ya go! Comes out once a year and has a subscription of one. :lol:

8. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

To get a press pass you either need to work for someone or know someone. Generally passes are issued event specific depending on the size of the event and venue. I have worked for several papers and have been issued passes for everything from Steelers and Pirates games to high school football. When it came to high school football you did have to identify yourself as being with someone or they would have every parent with a Digital Rebel and a 300 lens standing on the sidelines and shooting pics of their kid and this would not be conducive to a good game. Conversly I have also been issued passes, as I said to Steelers an Pirates games (I'm from Pgh) and they were very event specific you needed to have one for the game you were at issued to you specificaly. I know this is not concerts but I imagine the rules are fairly similar.

9. dewey

dewey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's not true. There are alot of newspaper chains where the photographers hold the copyrights. The power of the union. :lol:

I would say contact your local paper(s) and see if they need stringers... you will need a portfolio to be considered most of the time - kind of a nasty catch 22.

10. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    You must request a pass with justification why needed from the event promoter/organizer. The promoter/organizer may refuse at their will. The promoter/organizer own the copyright to the event and its redistribution. The photographer would only have “Fair Use” rights. That is when you sample a copyrighted item for review or critique.

11. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I was seriously thinking of this.

If I went to the door of some club and it looked like I had a legit pass and lets say an ID for a little rock zine are they really going to look up and see if its a real publication? Do I have them call my cell which is turned off and make my message machine say "welcome to so and so rock zine we are closed right now please call back 9-5 mon - fri"

12. nealjpage

Photos OK to edit
    Wow. This is a lot more complicated than I had orginally thought. So are free-lancers usually affiliated with a particular newspaper, i.e., I usually sell my shots to the local paper, so they'll back my request for a pass with the expectation that I'll get them some decent shots?