Free-lance?

I don't see why you would have to live in socal...... it could be nice to have a segment from another state and see what everyone else is doing every now and then.

Fair enough. I'll see what I can drum up...

Interesting, I published a mag through my company last year. Are you suggesting I could just produce a press pass for that title and that would get me at the front of some places as press?

Surely not, then everybody who wanted free entry would just do this.

I should imagine that there are press passes and press passes! One gets you in the other gets you at leas told to f-off at worse might result in a light cheeky right hander?

But does everyone know how to use photoshop to make an id card? Know how to print a decent looking id card? Have a legit looking camera? Feel like putting the time and effort forth?

Another thing you could always do if you just want to shoot for practice but not pay. Go early before doors open and find a band whos playing. Bands get a guest list and sometimes a crew list and these people get in for free. Tell the band you are willing to shoot them for free if they put you on the guest list then depending on what you feel like email some smaller jpgs with your watermark on them. You now have a potential client who might pay more for another shoot and you got a night of free music.

I assume that press passes are soley given to those working for a publication.

However, I wonder if you could make something with your own business name. I know this would work around here alot easier!! In fact around here I could probably just walk in with a camera and no one would say anything.

Hmm. We need an online newspaper or blog or something. Something that covers Canada too. And then the pages can go into more localized regions. The first page would have the two countries, you pick one. Then pick a state or province and so forth.

that'd be neat

I shoot bands, they get me into the places all the time. Granted these are smaller bands, but they just tell the club/theatre/etc. to let me in, put me on a guest list, get a word in with the manager whatever. Now this wouldnt work for someone like the rolling stones, but if you're talking about any venue that isnt usually having national touring acts, then get in touch with the bands, theyll get you in if they want pictures.

We need an online newspaper or blog or something. Something that covers Canada too. And then the pages can go into more localized regions. The first page would have the two countries, you pick one. Then pick a state or province and so forth.

that'd be neat

That's brilliant! "Aspiring music photographers please apply for press passes here. No portfolio necessary." Anyone who likes this idea have webpage building skills?

DeepSpring, The music blog is a great idea! I live in the middle of nowhere, where we have small venues, but nothing like that to cover them. What law would that be breaking? It's a legitimate electronic publication, published via the web. The only thing I would recommend is if this is something you're serious about, purchasing a domain name would lend you more credibility, as would having sponsers or advertisers related to your blog. Also, print up some business cards, which is easy to do in PS.

But does everyone know how to use photoshop to make an id card? Know how to print a decent looking id card? Have a legit looking camera? Feel like putting the time and effort forth?

Another thing you could always do if you just want to shoot for practice but not pay. Go early before doors open and find a band whos playing. Bands get a guest list and sometimes a crew list and these people get in for free. Tell the band you are willing to shoot them for free if they put you on the guest list then depending on what you feel like email some smaller jpgs with your watermark on them. You now have a potential client who might pay more for another shoot and you got a night of free music.

I could set an ID card up in a few mins, I just need to see one so I know whats on it.

I assume pic of Photog (shouldn't really be a problem!) title of mag, date, contact number of support, laminate it with hole punch in top for neck strap - bingo.

And I like you idea of shooting for free and getting a potential client.

Here is an ID card I just threw together. Any suggestions?

IDCARDcopy.jpg

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/member.php?u=13244Aquarium Dreams I like you suggestions. I'll have to look into the domain soon

I worked for a newspaper. I'll make one up here in a bit and put it up.

Is this going to be just for music? Or for other events too like ah.. dance or theatre.
In my small town every year they have a MASSIVE dance festival. This would be great exposure for me and anyone else that doesn't have many bands near by.

I love this idea!!!!

This is kind of what ours looked like but a bit more 'professional' with a picture taken against a white background.
Being a web publication there obviously wouldnt be an address but the url and maybe an email address to someone in charge in case anyone has any questions.

If I had the brains and/or money I would make one.

If someone does have the brains perhaps a membership could cost $5.00 or something to help cover costs of domain name, hosting, etc.

This one is obviously quite boring (and not very centered i dont think). We could make them to go with the theme and colors like DeepSpring did.

presspass.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back