From a technical standpoint, which is better?

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Canon T1i or the Nikon d5000. Just based on technical standpoint, not canon vs nikon. The reason I ask is because I have heard several things about the t1i not being good in low light, and several little things about both. So I wanted to ask people who knew more then I what they thought.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are differences...but they are probably insignificant.

For shooting in low light, you will get further ahead by using a 'fast' lens than by trying to figure out which of these cameras is better.

I would agree with Mike. I have a Nikon and in low light it struggles with my Macro and/or zoom lenses but fires right up, in the same lighting condition, with my 50mm prime lens.

Considering they are both entry level cameras, I would consider both of them to be equal. There are minute differences between them, but as Mike said, nothing major that would sway my decision either way.

They're pretty evenly matched. I would say the D5000 has a slight advantage in the high ISO category, but the difference is pretty minimal. The T1i offers ISO 12800 and the D5000 doesn't... but honestly, ISO 12800 is unusable as even with noise reduction in post editing it's still going to be pretty ugly.

If you look at the two ISO 6400's you'll see that the D5000 looks a little cleaner. In real life you would want to apply noise reduction to either image (T1i or D5000) as you're really pushing the limits of both bodies at that ISO.

As a side note, Lightroom 3 promises to have refined noise reduction capabilities which will be handy. You can download the Beta right now from the Adobe website to get a feel for the tool if you don't already have it. I use Lightroom 2.6 for my image importing and editing, it's great software.

You should probably look more at the cost of accessories, ergonomics, etc. and compare them between the two cameras. Functionally they'll both offer about the same performance. Stop by a camera store (Best Buy in my area often carries both bodies) and play with them. Shoot some pictures with each one and get a feel for the controls. That will probably be more important than comparing ISO 6400 in these bodies.

Remember, when you buy a system today you're buying for the future too. Once you start buying lenses, flashes and other accessories you begin to lock yourself into that manufacturer for years to come. Look at the cost of ownership down the road (bodies, lenses, etc.) to see if one system makes more sense for you than another.

They're pretty evenly matched. I would say the D5000 has a slight advantage in the high ISO category, but the difference is pretty minimal. The T1i offers ISO 12800 and the D5000 doesn't... but honestly, ISO 12800 is unusable as even with noise reduction in post editing it's still going to be pretty ugly.

If you look at the two ISO 6400's you'll see that the D5000 looks a little cleaner. In real life you would want to apply noise reduction to either image (T1i or D5000) as you're really pushing the limits of both bodies at that ISO.

As a side note, Lightroom 3 promises to have refined noise reduction capabilities which will be handy. You can download the Beta right now from the Adobe website to get a feel for the tool if you don't already have it. I use Lightroom 2.6 for my image importing and editing, it's great software.

You should probably look more at the cost of accessories, ergonomics, etc. and compare them between the two cameras. Functionally they'll both offer about the same performance. Stop by a camera store (Best Buy in my area often carries both bodies) and play with them. Shoot some pictures with each one and get a feel for the controls. That will probably be more important than comparing ISO 6400 in these bodies.

Remember, when you buy a system today you're buying for the future too. Once you start buying lenses, flashes and other accessories you begin to lock yourself into that manufacturer for years to come. Look at the cost of ownership down the road (bodies, lenses, etc.) to see if one system makes more sense for you than another.
This is a very good reply. Go Bears!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back