Fujifilm S7000

Ferd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum.
Does anyone know alot about this camera? I bought one a couple months ago. All my cameras before this were cheap $20 plastic kodaks from the drugstore so I knew pretty much diddly when I bought it. I needed one for a trip and this one was getting good reviews and seems like it will be all I need for a while at least. It has threads around the lens and there is a "lens adapter" for it from Fujifilm. Does this mean I can buy lenses for it? Like telephoto and wide angle lenses. What about filters? Are the thread sizes standard?

Thanks

I have the S7000. I love the camera. You wont get great shots rite away. So take lots of pictures and READ THE MANUAL front to back. The Auto mode seems to always pick shutters too slow for everything. So I atleast use Shutter priority.

There are lenses and filters for it. The adapter goes from 55mm to 52mm. I have a .45 wide angle, 2x zoom lenses. And FD, UV and Polarizing filters for it. Look on ebay. Just do a search for S7000. They have a lot of kits that have everything I have above.

I went to my local Photo Shop and the owner there recommended the Fuji S7000 to me as my first camera. He said they are on sale for $699 plus a $100 mail in rebate.
The features seem neat on it. I just don't know if it will do everything I want it to. I don't even know what all I want!! LOL
What do you guys think?
~Tim

my only quams with it is that there's not a wider range of aperature. I could do a lot more cool effects if I could get larger than 8. Also, the ISO only goes to 800. Those didnt mean so much to me when I bought it. But the more advanced I get in my photography the more it buggs me.

The video is amazing. Dont know if that helps or not. I dont use it nearly as much as I thought I would. But it comes in handy...the file sizes are just HUGE.

You can see sample pictures from the camera on my website. :D

Thanks for your reply.
Would you recommend this camera or something else if you had to do it over again?

Does that sound like a fair price for it?

Also, what size card do you recommend? I'm thinking about a 256mb.
~Tim

Metimbo said:
Thanks for your reply.
Would you recommend this camera or something else if you had to do it over again?

Does that sound like a fair price for it?

Also, what size card do you recommend? I'm thinking about a 256mb.
~Tim

if I had to do it over again I would probably have spent more money on a camera that has more ISO and aperature settings. It depends how into photography you are or plan on getting.

It is an awesome camera and I love the results I get from it. I think I paid $800-$850 on ebay for the camera brand new with .45x lense, 2x lense, and 3 filters. Also came with a tripod, carrying case and a cleaning kit. Then I bought a 5 year waranty for like $130. That also comes with a free yearly cleaning. That was a little more info than what you asked but just to let you know what else is out there.

I bought a highspeed 256 and it has been enough for me. I have taken 200+ pictures at 3mp and been fine. If you will be shooting mostly at 6mp then you may want more.

Buy a couple sets of AA rechargables. This camera sucks the power out like you wouldnt believe.

Metimbo, I just looked at the camera today and it well selling for $599 (at an independent store-not chain). I'm just online now looking at some reviews so haven't compared prices elsewhere. (although online it sells for about $400.)

I had been looking at some much more expensive digital cameras but really think I want to go with something in this price range since I'm just learning. The salesperson I talked to also really liked this camera.

Graig, your pictures look really nice which makes me think this camera would be fine for me for now. If I'm lucky enough (or talented enough) to outgrow it's features, I'll happily but a new camera!

I did my research at www.dpreview.com. They have specs for almost every digital camera ever made, and you can do side-by-side comparisons.

I agree with Graig, the S7000 would be a great camera if it had a smaller available aperture and a few other things. Most fixed-lens digicams are limited to f/8 however, so if that's the road you're taking you will just about have to be satisfied with it.

graigdavis said:
I could do a lot more cool effects if I could get larger than 8.
Do you mean the other way around? It looks like the smallest is f8 (larger number = smaller aperture). The specs say it will go as large as f2.8, which is enough to throw the background out of focus. Going with a narrow aperture (higher number) give you more of the field in focus, so f8 would be used when you want as much as possible to be sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back