Full Frame Body, overkill?

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been saving for a new camera body, one with a good full frame sensor and high ISO performance. I primarily do portraiture (newborns, families etc..) and some events, but have been working towards focussing more on wedding photography. I have some potential opportunities to second shoot this summer, and possibly a chance shoot a wedding myself in the fall.:D

I will absolutely be renting a full frame DSLR when and if the second shooting/ and potential wedding actually go through.. But my goal is to purchase my own, as well as a better wide angle/zoom. (Possibly the 24-70 2.8.)

I've looked over and read about some of the higher end Nikon bodies, and am leaning towards the D700... But in searching, I also came across the D3S, which sounds AMAZING.. but it's 5,200+ instead of 2500+ for the body only.

While I don't mind saving up longer to get the D3S if that really is the route I should take, investing the extra is worth it to me. But I'm wondering if the D700 would serve my needs sufficiently, and the D3S might just be an overkill of sorts? lol.

I want to invest in a good camera, but if the D700 is sufficient, it would be a) possible to invest in it sooner than later.. and b) would allow me to save for new lenses sooner.

Opinions, experience, or any other knowledge about these models greatly appreciated!

Your title question is confusing-- are you asking if both cameras are overkill? As opposed to what?

Your title question is confusing-- are you asking if both cameras are overkill? As opposed to what?

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse..

I currently have the D5000.. which has been a great camera overall and I love it! But for indoor weddings, I really feel that I should invest in a camera with higher ISO performance, and a full frame sensor.

A better wording for the title would have been: "I need a full frame body. Between these two options (D700 and D3S) would the D3S be an overkill for my needs?

I'd just buy the D700 now,and get started, rather than waiting until you have enough money saved up to buy the D3s.

I would go with D700 before D3S. If your career as a photographer takes off, and you feel you need the D3S, then the funds to upgrade will be justified. I know pro photographers who use and LOVE the D700. Maybe someone will see this who actually gets paid to shoot, but I am personally thinking that a D700 and 24-70 would be fantastic. Based on what you said, I think the D3S is overkill.

Looking at what lenses you have, I think you ought to buy a D700 and spend the difference on new glass.

Looking at what lenses you have, I think you ought to buy a D700 and spend the difference on new glass.
Good point. You may want a 70-200 for weddings (and many other uses) in addition to the 24-70.

Thanks everyone, I agree with all the advice so far:)

I really do understand about glass making the greatest difference, and I think good glass combined with the D700 would give me everything I'm hoping to achieve and room to grow!

I just kind of had a "WOW" moment when I was reading about the crazy ISO performance of the D3S, and thought posting here would give me a bit of a sanity check :lol:

Crazy high ISO performance comes at a cost, unfortunately.

I would agree with what has been said, get the D700 now as you can grow with it. Its a more than capable camera to do low light and wedding shooting, so you should be fine. Adding in a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8 later on on the D700 will be a great setup, compared to simply have the D3S with low end / kit lenses.

By the time you'll replace the D700 with a D3s, who knows, Nikon may come out with a D4 or a D5z.

Instead of a D3s...get two D700's....you need a backup body anyway for weddings, so just get 2 D700's, put a 24-70 on one and a 70-200 on the other and go to town. Now if a camera fails during a wedding, you still have a great setup to keep on shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back