Fun Class

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where I work there is a photography lab and classes are on the same floor.
So I normally I may see students running around using Film cameras.

Last week it was polaroid instant cameras
Today a student had a homemade box camera. Seams taped up and painted black, and tape over a square but covered opening to give a 45 second exposure.

The interesting thing is, he wasn't using film.
he said he was using some "art" paper which apparently is light sensitive.

Any idea what he was talking about. It sounds intriging and I'm curious if any processing is involved.

Ever hear of photo paper? The stuff they use in darkrooms to make prints from negatives?

Same principle.

Sounds like they were playing with pinhole cameras.

There is traditional photo paper, yes, and you can make a negative out of it, develop it, then contact print onto another piece of photo paper in the darkroom and develop to make the positive print.

There's also Harman Direct Positive paper which makes a positive image and then is developed the same as a wet print.

To wit:

Day 350 - Snowy Caddy pinhole
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

No film was wasted in the making of the above photograph. The sepia tint was due to using Caffenol as a developer.

There is also an "art" paper to make sun prints:
Nature Print Paper - BLICK art materials

You place objects on the paper to create the images, then as the paper is exposed to sun, the rest of the paper "develops" but the parts covered by the objects stay white.

Using either photo paper or cyanotype (we've made that here at home) though we use it for contact work.

I think lazy lobster did a pinhole project in high school with photo paper and an oatmeal box. I made one a long time ago by taping a 35mm film box to a 126 film cartridge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back