Fun, quck shoot. C&C please

wh1ppet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any tips on what I need to do better next time would be great! Both set-up and post-processing. Thanks.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Being silly. (not my idea)
2.jpg

I'm not an expert by any means, but the guy has a larger shiny light reflection on his head in shots 1 & 3 which is not flattering- maybe a lighting issue? I like the poses in 1 & 2 the best. 3 is cute but his head is reflecting.

Set-up wise, a great big ol' white diffuser will get rid of some of those harsh reflections on their skin, and soften the shadows.

another noob here so no professional help just my opinions. I think maybe a different time of the day would have been great for this shot, it looks as though the sun was just in the wrong position and there was too much reflection given.
Also whenever you are doing portrait shots in the sun, be sure to keep a hanky on hand as many guys will get sweaty faces giving a shine so a quick dry off before each shot can help here.
I like number 3 simply because it was not your idea, dont take that the wrong way but if that is the way they are then they will love the photo even more and it makes your job easier, shows a bit of their personality in the photo.
overall #2 is my fave, they look relaxed and there is not a great deal of overexposure. the sky has character as well.

Everything seems blown out. Especially on #1.

The hanky tip sounds very helpful. I will make sure to do that next time.

As far as blowing stuff out - should I turn down the ISO next time?

I think your ISO may have been a little high, what was it set to?

Also, not sure if it was done in PP but a lot of the colours (grass in #1 and jeans in #2) look very unnatural.

#2 There is minimal contrast between the two people wearing white and blue, and the white and blue sky, which makes it a tad confusing to look at.

Tips:

-Shoot different time of the day (all the shots are horribly blown out)
-If you are trying to do portraits for a profession, look into getting some lighting equipment.

#1 I think has over saturation on some colors.
#2 looks like your shooting at high noon so some shadows on their faces
#3 I think is your best as far as composition although the background
seems a bit blown out.

My advice. When I'm shooting during high noon(mostly because I have no
choice) I try to look for open shaded areas that way lighting is even on
the subject...watch out for the backgrounds though as they maybe
brighter resulting in blow out. Works for me since most of the time I
don't like using flash.

Thanks for sharing those.

camz
Simply Dashy Photography

Most reactions