funeral pics

wow those are pretty good. I think black and white was a really good choice!!!

As far as responding to the topic;
I personally would not want a picture of the person in the casket, (eek) but of it closed, I know (first-hand) you might not want the pictures for a while and might put them in the attic, but when you discover them it is a really great feeling.
I really like how Big Bully did them in B/W! Good job.

wow those are pretty good. I think black and white was a really good choice!!!

As far as responding to the topic;
I personally would not want a picture of the person in the casket, (eek) but of it closed, I know (first-hand) you might not want the pictures for a while and might put them in the attic, but when you discover them it is a really great feeling.
I really like how Big Bully did them in B/W! Good job.

Did I post some pictures? Or did you mean Dpolston?

Funny that you mentioned the open casket... both families wanted the photos of the open casket. I did not post them out of respect. The second funeral (the one in the blog) was a closed casket service and viewing other than the "family time" before the viewing started yesterday. They asked me to come early and take those photos. The family themselves were little paparazzi photographers of the decedent father before I ever started shooting.

I won't say that taking these wasn't a little weird for me (I prefer not shooting the decedent in the caskets), but each their own. The strange thing is though, I can shoot PJ shots of deceased as in crime scene, violent or tragic stories without much thought at all. I look at those as somewhat informational or newsworthy and not necessarily remembering someones loved one.

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

When my Grandfather (a Boston Herald photographer in his day) died last year, I remember moments that would have made absolutely amazing photographs. Given the fact that it was my own Grandfather, no photos were taken. I don't know how I would feel about having a photographer at a funeral or burial, it might be rather distracting, especially if it was anybody I knew.

Regarding showing a casket (an open one, that is), I just think that would be strange. I would much rather remember a loved one by a picture of them living, rather than dead.

yea I meant you dpolston sorry for the mix up! *Having mad skillz today lol*

It's ok.. You are allowed one screw up on TPF.. The rest you have to pay for..
I take checks (as long as they are good) money, credit cards....:mrgreen:

I'd like to get some honest feed-back.

I'm suprised at how few pics there are of funerals. I've started taking photoes at the grave site and NO i do not charge for these, and yes I ask permission. I mail them free to family and then who else wants them; also free. I geuss i am surprised that i have nothing but good responces.

Last week I mailed out over 25 requsted free pics from 1 funeral earlier that week.

The widow said it was the first time in 15 years everyone...almost everyone...was together! THEY POSED RIGHT THERE!

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!?!?

Been there, done that.

I shot a funeral for the exact same reason, it was the only time when EVERYONE was together. You know what, it wasn't inappropriate, everyone there saw it as a celebration, and there was nothing awkward about it.

There is nothing wrong with shooting pictures at a funeral when appropriate.

Our family always photographs funerals/wakes. Its part of the healing process and part of the culture i grew up in. We never hired anyone and I think I would be very wigged out if someone was hanging around wanting to take photos....very very weirded out.

Maybe you should leave some info with funeral directors to give to someone if they ask.

it all depends on how people look at funerals.

i prefer to celebrate the life, rather than mourn the death.

i've always requested that my funeral be a "party" for my close friends and family

I don't think it's strange at all, but Asian culture are a bit different. I was at a funeral and wake a couple days ago and they put up a slide show of all the pictures taken a few days before he die and until he was in the coffin. Yes, there was a picture of him inside the coffin, and there were tons of pictures of people that came to mourn him. On the day of the funeral, there was one D80, one D200, and one D2x and at least one video camera. And yes, I was also taking picture with my little Kodak Z710. I guess to us, it's about capturing the last moment on earth of the decease.

Wow, I've been watching this thread for awhile, entertained by the shift of opinions.

Starting out - most were appalled by the idea
Mixed in - a few strange comments
Last bunch of posts - most are acceptable of the idea

Maybe we need a poll.

Wow, I've been watching this thread for awhile, entertained by the shift of opinions.

Starting out - most were appalled by the idea
Mixed in - a few strange comments
Last bunch of posts - most are acceptable of the idea

Maybe we need a poll.

I agree. It would be interesting to see how many people are actually for it, vs convinced that it might be ok.

Most reactions

Back