Future of DLSRs??

I really want THE perfect lens. 10mm-500mm f/0.5 FX format under 2 lbs and resolving power better than 100 LPMM with no CA, barrel or pincushion distortions. Oh, and pro quality build w/AF-S, VR, no plastic. Wow, what a lens that would be.

i dont get why people want more FPS than like 10 in a camera. Does it not get to a point where your simply holding a video camera, if it shoots at like 50fps--

To get the ball coming out the finger or shoe tips, now it takes a bit of luck

Improved auto focus when panning to eliminate background focusing, why because I have tons of ski shots of a rider coming off a kicker where the first few short are in focus but next 2 or 3 have background focused, why should any camera ever go from 25 ft to infinity focus within 2-4 seconds

Zone auto focus also to eliminate background focusing, same reason as above, to be able to set min and max focus, not for DOF but to force camera only to focus with in the zone

Larger buffer for sequencing

High ISO with no noise

A good digital back for old Hassy for fewer than 5K

One day it will get to the point where ANYONE can take an outstanding picture by using a 100MP camera with infinity aperture (but as sharp as f11 - no diffraction) and then crop in 1000% (for example) to the part of the image that is actually interesting and then edit the background to be blurred and create pleasant bokeh to give the impression of a high quality fast lens. When this day comes, i'll be leaving this joint!

However, i would love the ability to change from full-frame sensor mode, to 1.5x crop or even 2.0x (with the megapixel capability of just a wee bit more than 5mp on the D3!) just to get the extra reach in different situations (although of course this would result in higher noise but i would be aware of it and use it only in light situations or use the noise to my advantage).

A good estimate for the future?

Jonny

I'd love a flip out LCD like a lot of the Canon p&S have. I think it's such a great feature.

The current trend in the midrange digital cameras is 2 megapixels per year from 8 to 10 to 12. This will continue. Approaches are being taken with new chips and workarounds to reduce noise at higher ISOs. This will also continue. The top range of ISOs is 6400 and this will also climb higher. Dynamic range optimizers in cameras are working in the direction of bringing the hdr function into a one shot menu function. Dual camera processing chips are coming in which will increase speed, internal focus, and other functions. Colour needs to go beyond 16bit to be the equivalent of film at around the equal of 42bit in digital terms.

The above improvements lead to other problems that need to be solved. Multi-megapixel images with 42bit colour and high dynamic range require multi-megabyte storage. Memory cards will need to go multi-gigabyte toward 20 and higher. Recording the more complex image will need to be at the same speed as current smaller images in the cameras.

Postprocessing will need to handle larger picture files with the same speed and efficiency as the current smaller ones. That means faster computers and faster hard drives and other storage devices.

Batteries will also need more power to handle faster microprocessing action and larger amounts of photographic data. At the same time they will have to last at least as long as the current ones, if not longer.

Progress will probably continue at the current rate because so many areas of technology are involved and inter-related.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back