Gardeners! Share your garden photos and garden chatter here.

Small bungee or large rubber band? Mine are wood with a post cap and finial on top. That's way too much for your set-up. Cruise the dollar store aisles maybe? Fake flowers? Plastic squirrel or bird?

But then if you're a dirty martini guzzler, how's 'bout a skinny olive jar?

Leave enough of the tops sticking up to form a cup and put a gazing ball there, or disco ball. Cover the zip tie with some ribbon or such. Have fun and make it showy folk art like.
I like the disco ball idea but probably a bit over the top lol.

Small bungee or large rubber band? Mine are wood with a post cap and finial on top. That's way too much for your set-up. Cruise the dollar store aisles maybe? Fake flowers? Plastic squirrel or bird?

But then if you're a dirty martini guzzler, how's 'bout a skinny olive jar?
I know you were joking but about the olive jar but… I like the idea of using something simple and small like a can. Maybe a short can like from tuna as sort of a cap. Then all painted the same color. It will be invisible after a month when the dahlias grow in so nothing too fancy. Guess I’m having a tuna sammich for lunch today so I can try it out.

Need some creative gardening structure advice. I’m planning to use upside down tomato cages to support some of my dahlias that are in grow bags. Forming them into a sort of obelisk and securing the top, maybe with a zip tie. Going to paint it black so it blends. I’m trying to figure something small to go on the top to make it look less DIY before the flowers grow in. Suggestions? @cgw you made some of these out of wood right? I can’t find the photo. What did you use for the top?

View attachment 274990
Add a small terracotta pot and fill with more flowers!

Need some creative gardening structure advice. I’m planning to use upside down tomato cages to support some of my dahlias that are in grow bags. Forming them into a sort of obelisk and securing the top, maybe with a zip tie. Going to paint it black so it blends. I’m trying to figure something small to go on the top to make it look less DIY before the flowers grow in. Suggestions? @cgw you made some of these out of wood right? I can’t find the photo. What did you use for the top?

View attachment 274990
Think these were the ones you mentioned:

SpringRoses.jpg

BTW, the grand dames look like they wintered on the Cote d'Azur--not in S. Ontario!
Recent shot at the family ruin.

Last edited:
Garden photo dump incoming! Lots and lots of green. It’s killing me not to buy any colorful annuals to fill-in which I would normally do but with my upcoming trip I don’t want to leave too many things for my mom and daughter to take care of. There is going to be a car full from the garden center when I get home!

IMG_7925.jpegIMG_7927.jpegIMG_7926.jpegIMG_7924.jpegIMG_7929.jpegIMG_7930.jpegIMG_7934.jpegIMG_7933.jpegIMG_7939.jpegIMG_7935.jpegIMG_7940.jpeg

Garden photo dump incoming! Lots and lots of green. It’s killing me not to buy any colorful annuals to fill-in which I would normally do but with my upcoming trip I don’t want to leave too many things for my mom and daughter to take care of. There is going to be a car full from the garden center when I get home!

View attachment 275032View attachment 275033View attachment 275034View attachment 275035View attachment 275036View attachment 275037View attachment 275038View attachment 275039View attachment 275040View attachment 275041View attachment 275042
Wretched excess, agreed!
Dunno but we're kind of kicking the annuals spend-a-thon habit in favor of $$$ thrown at flowering shrubs, perennials, bulbs, and ground covers at the family ruin.

View attachment 275032View attachment 275033View attachment 275034View attachment 275035View attachment 275036View attachment 275037View attachment 275038View attachment 275039View attachment 275040View attachment 275041View attachment 275042
Your garden looks amazing! The plants are certainly ahead of mine at this time.

My Major Wheeler honeysuckle was chomped on by a deer who somehow wandered into the yard. It's so improbable to get deer in this area, I absolutely couldn't spook her away from the plant. After a few swipes and munches, she ambled off down the street. I looked closely at it later and found little harm done.

The bunnies are munching on the Black-Eyed Susans, which they do every spring and never stop the growth. I'm Zen about it. :lol:

Your garden looks amazing! The plants are certainly ahead of mine at this time.

My Major Wheeler honeysuckle was chomped on by a deer who somehow wandered into the yard. It's so improbable to get deer in this area, I absolutely couldn't spook her away from the plant. After a few swipes and munches, she ambled off down the street. I looked closely at it later and found little harm done.

The bunnies are munching on the Black-Eyed Susans, which they do every spring and never stop the growth. I'm Zen about it. :lol:
Pests...

Wretched excess, agreed!
Dunno but we're kind of kicking the annuals spend-a-thon habit in favor of $$$ thrown at flowering shrubs, perennials, bulbs, and ground covers at the family ruin.

I have to have at least four hanging baskets for my deck and my front door. I also like to have a couple of potted annuals scattered about in the garden while waiting for everything to flower. Right now the bees have nothing except the flowering trees.

Busy day around our pile for once. City sells rain barrels cheap to residents in May. Minor plumbing challenges for an overflow barrel. Plants dig rain water over the processed stuff. Rumors of a dry summer in
S. Ontario?

RBa.jpg

Most reactions

Back