Gary Fong Lightsphere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I have seen this product in action like 3X. All three times were being used by someone who had no idea what they were doing. I see them shooting bride and groom in the open with fong dong with flash on.

Robin, respectfully, you're not making any sense.

Your criticism isn't of the product, which is what I actually asked about, but of three people you've seen using the product.

You're saying you don't like them because the three times you've seen them being used were instances where the photographers didn't, in your estimation, know what they were doing. That's like saying someone shouldn't buy a Chevy because someone, somewhere, doesn't know how to drive a car.

I might be wrong, but I sense that there might be other reasons you've such an aversion to them, and you're just choosing not to share them. I can dig that, but at least say so. Saying they're bad because three people didn't know how to properly use it doesn't really help.

How do they perform in the hands of someone who actually does know what they're doing?

Dude.. you ask why people will make fun of you if you use a fong dong. Most people that use it think if they put it it on their speedlite, they will have amazing photos without that harsh look without knowing exactly how to bounce the flash. All they know is that direct flash is bad so they need something to modify their flash.

When someone has no idea how to bounce flash, use a fong dong, set the flash to ETTL, of course they will get good results (except the fact the battery will die sooner) because it will bounce the light everywhere. But once you really understand how bouncing works, then you realize this device really doesn't help you that much and it will do you more harm than good.

Just based from interacting with other photographers, most of them WILL make fun of you if you use one.

Now...HERE'S a light modifier that retails for around $700 or so with the mounting ring. it is the Profoto "globe"....

Profoto globe - Google Search

You know, the "globe" modifier...aka the Front Porch Light...aka the Hallway Light's Globe...aka The Cheap Hotel Clothing Storage and Suitcase Stand Area Light...

Whaddaya' suppose this kind of a light modifier is supposed to do???? Cough,cough, cough....omni-directional diffusion...

And here is a link to the "Profoto globe + DIY", whereby you can buy a globe at Home Depot for $6.99, and spend a five dollar bill on mounting hardware, and make this damned thing for under $20...

Profoto globe + DIY - Google Search

It's not a horrible tool to have. It does wonders in a small space. But the design does really make the flash work hard. I actually use the removable dome like an expodisc for white balance. It is a very mis-used tool. Mostly because there are those who think the Lightsphere will magically light you subject perfect in any and all situations and that's just not true.

Really, it's not a bad thing to have in your bag even if it's just for the dome to custom white balance. If it didn't work at all Gary wouldn't be a frikin millionaire.

I used to use it almost everyday when I photographed preschools and daycares. The group photo would be in their classrooms which are often small with low ceilings.

I met one photographer in the cosplay convention. He told me the Gary Fong lightsphere is so far the best light modifier he ever bought. Inside the convention? Every room is so large. The walls are far away and the ceilings are extremely high. He shot the cosplayers about 50ft in front of him. I don't think he gets any good pictures.

If you look some of his videos, he uses lightsphere outdoor.

You should see one of his videos that he uses lightsphere as light saber. It is pretty funny.

Last edited:

If one reads through that old thread from 2009 all the way, which I did, he can see that about one in maybe ten people actually understand how and when to use this device. Those would be the people who actually KNOW HOW to light.

When used with the top open, what the Fong diffuser gives is bounce flash + omni-directional, diffused fill. Which is a ***perfect solution*** in ***some*** situations.

But then again, there are a lot of people who don't really,truly understand that a tool needs a skilled operator behind it, and rag on how ineffective the tool is when used in the wrong situation.

A Phillips screwdriver is the perfect tool to install or remove Phillips-head screws. But many people just reach for a butterknife. SAME, exact tools, right?

Derrel.. I just wanted to proof how many people make fun of it LOL. I havent started shooting in 2009.

I understand what you wanted to do. My point is that the majority of people have very little idea of what the device can do. It gets made fun of alllll the time by newbs who have no idea about the scope of lighting tools that exist in the world. The REAL "pros" in that thread understand how and when to use it. it is one of many potential tools; the dimwits look at it as a universal tool...the butterknife of screwdrivers...

As Christina pointed out above, "I used to use it almost everyday when I photographed preschools and daycares. The group photo would be in their classrooms which are often small with low ceilings."

It's a light modifier. One can watch the videos where Gary pops a whole bunch of different tools on a fixed-position camera and a model, and literally SEE HOW the various modifiers perform in that scenario.

As I've been pointing out all along, in rooms with LOW ceilings, and in CONFINED spaces, the Fong diffuser creates soft, almost shadowless lighting. People in that FM thread bag on the way it "eats up batteries". A typical amateur dig; if you're shooting a lot of flash, have a lot of batteries OR do what I did in 1985--buy a Quantum Battery so you don't have to make excuses.

The fact is that the "tool" can be used either in the right situations, by a skilled shooter, or it can be used by an unskilled shooter in all the wrong situations. When what is needed is omni-directional light, plus the ability to bounce, the device is CLEARLY better than a whole host of other products.

Again...look at the results the device can create when used by a person who actually understands how and when the conditions are appropriate to use that,specific tool.

It's a poor craftsman who blames his failures on tools that he does not really understand how to use effectively.

Real pros use screwdrivers as butterknives.

I'm showing two images from the New Year's Eve get-together. The subject is a two-year-old daughter of a friend - very active and very curious. The environment was an apartment with relatively low white ceilings, but lots of non-white stuff on the walls. I got down to the little lady's level to shoot, and the ceiling was quite "high" in relation to the subject. The first image is show with bounce flash, no flash card. The second is with the Fong (clear sides, opaque top). During the evening, I tried various methods of bouncing light (ceiling, back wall, forward-tilt bounce, and the Fong. In that situation, the Fong gave better results most of the time. As Derrel said, it's not as effective in larger rooms.

So: Left shot is bounce only, right shot is with the Fong.
$Stella_S_8201.JPG$Stella_03_8199.jpg

As you can see in the left shot, there was lots of "background" which I overlaid in the right shot to get a cleaner image. I'm not putting this out as great photography - just an example of a use of the Fong that worked for me (in this specific circumstance).

Maybe we should have a speedlite death match. One person use a fong dong, one person just use pure bounce. We can argue all day that a fong dong can give a better result than pure bounce. Yes, there will be a scenario where it will give a way better result but not that often. Plus it will take up space in your bag, plus gazzilion non photographers will ask you what that is, plus a lot of photographers will make fun of you (in their head), plus it will bounce your light everywhere even to dark wall and it will eat up your battery. It is almost as silly as the stoffen diffuser but at least the stoffen generic one is only $5.

Your example pgriz, the bounce was too close to the top of the subject. You need to either bounce it more behind you OR use the bounce card.

pgriz said:
1) Bounced flash shotView attachment 63799

2)Fong Diffuser ShotView attachment 63798

Pgriz, pardon me, but let me rate these:

1) Bounced flash shot; "Ehhhhh...."

2) "Excellent lighting result!"

Once again, proving what experienced shooters know: there is a time and a place for every tool, every technique, and every approach.

Robin, you're right on the bounce, but as I noted, that was a very active little girl, and I had enough trouble keeping her in focus and far enough so that she'd fit the frame. As for people making fun of me... I'm ok with that. ;)

Because I have seen this product in action like 3X. All three times were being used by someone who had no idea what they were doing. I see them shooting bride and groom in the open with fong dong with flash on.

Robin, respectfully, you're not making any sense.

Your criticism isn't of the product, which is what I actually asked about, but of three people you've seen using the product.

You're saying you don't like them because the three times you've seen them being used were instances where the photographers didn't, in your estimation, know what they were doing. That's like saying someone shouldn't buy a Chevy because someone, somewhere, doesn't know how to drive a car.

I might be wrong, but I sense that there might be other reasons you've such an aversion to them, and you're just choosing not to share them. I can dig that, but at least say so. Saying they're bad because three people didn't know how to properly use it doesn't really help.

How do they perform in the hands of someone who actually does know what they're doing?

Dude.. you ask why people will make fun of you if you use a fong dong. Most people that use it think if they put it it on their speedlite, they will have amazing photos without that harsh look without knowing exactly how to bounce the flash. All they know is that direct flash is bad so they need something to modify their flash.

When someone has no idea how to bounce flash, use a fong dong, set the flash to ETTL, of course they will get good results (except the fact the battery will die sooner) because it will bounce the light everywhere. But once you really understand how bouncing works, then you realize this device really doesn't help you that much and it will do you more harm than good.

Just based from interacting with other photographers, most of them WILL make fun of you if you use one.

I hate to say it, but that was a pretty dismal attempt at answering my question.

First you say you don't like it because three people you saw using it didn't know how to use it. While they may, in fact, not have known what they were doing, that's not an indictment of the product.

Now you're saying that you don't like it because other photographers will laugh at you. Well, I would be hard pressed to give a rat's ass about that. I care about the end result, not about how cool I will or won't look while taking the photo. If that's you're primary concern, you're in the wrong line of work.

Are you of the opinion that the Lightsphere simply has not a single redeeming quality? I ask that in all seriousness because, frankly, you haven't address the actual product at all, only those who choose to use it...

I'm showing two images from the New Year's Eve get-together. The subject is a two-year-old daughter of a friend - very active and very curious. The environment was an apartment with relatively low white ceilings, but lots of non-white stuff on the walls. I got down to the little lady's level to shoot, and the ceiling was quite "high" in relation to the subject. The first image is show with bounce flash, no flash card. The second is with the Fong (clear sides, opaque top). During the evening, I tried various methods of bouncing light (ceiling, back wall, forward-tilt bounce, and the Fong. In that situation, the Fong gave better results most of the time. As Derrel said, it's not as effective in larger rooms.

So: Left shot is bounce only, right shot is with the Fong.
View attachment 63799View attachment 63798

As you can see in the left shot, there was lots of "background" which I overlaid in the right shot to get a cleaner image. I'm not putting this out as great photography - just an example of a use of the Fong that worked for me (in this specific circumstance).

How many people laughed at you?

Because, you know, according to Robin, that's what really matters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back