General Beginner Question

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lu_myself, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lu_myself

Lu_myself TPF Noob!

Hi All! i've been doing some reading on this forum before actualy registering as a member. Im sort of a beginner. I've been doing a lot of reading up on SLRs and think im ready to pick up my first cam. The thing is im realy into fashion photos and like experimental flicks. Im not realy into the Sports shots and landscapes and what not.. i heard its not that good to be limited and that a photographer should be more well rounded but.. hey thats just what i like. Anyways what im really trying to ask is if it is a really dumb desision to go with the D60 kit for my first. i went to the local Cam store and held it in my hand..i fell in love with the way it handles too. im also a big fan of the Manual Focus( before i looked at the D60 i was gonna buy the XTi) From what i hear, Going with the D60 will Limit me to certain lenses , but will that really have a big impact on me becasue of the shooting styles that i prefer?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

The deal with the D60 (and the D40) is that they don't have an internal focus motor like most other Nikon cameras do. Some Nikon lenses have their own focus motors and some don't. So if you tried to use a lens without a motor, you wouldn't have auto focus...but you could still manually focus the lens.

For some this isn't a big deal...for others it might be.

3. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    IMHO, you should not opt for the D60 if it limits the lenses that can be used, especially if you like to focus manually. There are too many great manual focus lenses out there to not be able to use them.

4. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    uh... don't know if i'm reading the above post right.... but .. just to be clear... you can manual focus any lens that fits the D60... you just lose autofocus if
    it's not built into the lens...

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Two big things to look at. What lenses you'll want to use (which should be the main influence of the brand of camera you go with since new bodies are out every year) and lighting. Good people photography requires creative ligthing and often dramatic lighting. Learning how to light will make your pictures look amazing.

It's not something a beginner usually hears or even looks into, so just keep that in mind.

6. Lu_myself

Lu_myself TPF Noob!

Damn you guys are fast lol.. Thanks Big Mike manual focusing realy isnt a prob for me, i actualy like the fact that i got that kind of control. And Early what manual lenses exactly am i limited to?and when u say limeted i can mount it on the cam at all ? i though i was only limited to AF on certain lenses.

7. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What I'm referring to is being able to use MF lenses that have manual setting aperture rings on them.

8. Lu_myself

Lu_myself TPF Noob!

great tip i'll keep that in mind thanks

9. Lu_myself

Lu_myself TPF Noob!

And That will screw me over big time ?? and what else do i have to look out for with lense options?

10. Lu_myself

Lu_myself TPF Noob!

Hey dEARlEADER ur a D60 user how u like it .. do u regret purchasing??

11. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I’m not really up on the latest Nikons, but I’m pretty sure the D60 and some other newer cameras can’t make use of the older lenses properly. It has to do with the aperture ring which can only be controlled on the lens. I believe, although the lenses will mouth (I think), you'd have to meter with the lens stopped down to the aperture you set on the lens, if you're able to meter at all.

12. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm also a D60 user - I don't regret purchasing it but I'm selling it to help pay for my Canon 40D.

I don't know how interested you are in the D60 but here is my link in case you're looking for one for a fairly good price ... and it comes with a 50mm 1.8

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120036