general pricing for tv documentary rights?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by mercurio, Dec 5, 2006.

1. mercurio

mercurio TPF Noob!

Dec 5, 2006
    Hello all... I should preface this by saying I'm *not* a pro photographer, so if I sound naive or ignorant about the biz, well, it's because I am.

Earlier this year I was approached by the producers of a UK television doc series about licensing a couple of my stills for their program. I eventually settled on the price of £300 for rights to the photos in 2 UK broadcasts of the program (within 5 years). They're wrapping up the program now and recently contacted me asking how much it would cost for them to obtain further rights and use the stills in international broadcasts.

I have no idea how much I should charge. A comparable amount to the original? A fraction thereof? This was more a random side endeavor than any moneymaking idea, but I'll take the compensation. It would also be nice to give an impression that I at least vaguely know what I'm doing. Any suggestion for the price? Other advice?

2. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Jun 26, 2006
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's a website, think its the National Union of Journalism has a list for pricing release for this type of work, I think you should be getting more for the shots not less and the people your dealing with know it, look it up and don't be ripped off.