General Walking Around Lens?

A 24-85 is my walk around lens.
Mine is the FX, AF 25-85 mm f/2.8-4D and it has a bonus feature - a 1:2 macro reproduction capability from 35 mm to 85 mm.

The lens has 9 rounded aperture blades and 2 aspherical lens elements.

A well cared for used one can be had for about $350.
Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If close-focus is not a priority, look into the 28-200 3.5/4.5 AF-D. AKA The Streetsweeper.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the suggestions guys! Now I just gotta get the wife on board haha

Sigma 35 1.4 Art

28-105mm AF-D is a good walk-around lens. This is one 480Sparky sent out and around the USA on Lens Across America in 2014...the odd thing is that at the short end, it has some of the lowest distortion Ken Rockwell said he's ever seen in a zoom, and he's a gearhead who has had the opportunity to shoot literally probably 200 different lens models...I shot the lens at the short end on some new building facades, and was utterly SHOCKED at how straight and true the lines were on the doors,siding,building edges, etc: something to think about for a guy who also wants to shoot 35mm film images! It's also inexpensive. I used it on a couple of neighborhood walk-about sessions, and made some really pretty damned good images with it on 24MP Nikon FX. For the price, I do not think it can be beat by any low-cost to medium-cost zoom lens that I can think of. The 28-105 AF-D also has a very capable macro mode: much more so than many zoom lenses have.

This lens uses 62mm filters, which were sort of a shorthand for the prior generation Nikkors' serious enthusiast/semi-pro type lenses, the way the new Nikkors are with the 67mm filter size; those were the lenses serious enthusiasts wanted to own.NIKON 28-105MM F/3.5-4.5 D IF MACRO AUTOFOCUS LENS {62} - KEH Camera

28-105mm AF-D is a good walk-around lens. This is one 480Sparky sent out and around the USA on Lens Across America in 2014...the odd thing is that at the short end, it has some of the lowest distortion Ken Rockwell said he's ever seen in a zoom, and he's a gearhead who has had the opportunity to shoot literally probably 200 different lens models...I shot the lens at the short end on some new building facades, and was utterly SHOCKED at how straight and true the lines were on the doors,siding,building edges, etc: something to think about for a guy who also wants to shoot 35mm film images! It's also inexpensive. I used it on a couple of neighborhood walk-about sessions, and made some really pretty damned good images with it on 24MP Nikon FX. For the price, I do not think it can be beat by any low-cost to medium-cost zoom lens that I can think of. The 28-105 AF-D also has a very capable macro mode: much more so than many zoom lenses have.

This lens uses 62mm filters, which were sort of a shorthand for the prior generation Nikkors' serious enthusiast/semi-pro type lenses, the way the new Nikkors are with the 67mm filter size; those were the lenses serious enthusiasts wanted to own.NIKON 28-105MM F/3.5-4.5 D IF MACRO AUTOFOCUS LENS {62} - KEH Camera

Not to be rude, but why care about distortion? With today's software, moderate to even medium distortion at the wide-end is easily fixed in seconds.

Jake

Completely forgot about that lens! It seemed like a nice enough lens and the price on them is right. Wish I would have given the macro a try on it though.

I dont believe i used any distortion correction here (maybe the built in lens profile)

[/url
][url=https://flic.kr/p/m5KVTp]Chalk Wall
by The Braineack, on Flickr

did great macro work too:

March Photo Challenge 1 by The Braineack, on Flickr
a bit soft in the edges here.

Had I not bought the Tamron 24-70 VC, there's a high chance that'd be my walk around lens.[/url]

Hey, nice post, Braineack! You inspired me to revisit the raws I shot in early April of 2014, with the 28-105 AF-D lens that 480Sparky set us up with for Lens Across America, Round 3. I made these conversions this afternoon in Lightroom. All were shot hand-held on literally, a walk around half of the block. No lens profiles, no distortion correction, minimal edits.

Attachments

• D3X_2817_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_2817_28-105 LAA.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
  • D3X_2864_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_2864_28-105 LAA.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 164
  • D3X_2896_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_2896_28-105 LAA.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
  • D3X_2985_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_2985_28-105 LAA.JPG
    849.7 KB · Views: 150
  • D3X_3006_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_3006_28-105 LAA.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 165
  • D3X_3015_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_3015_28-105 LAA.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • D3X_3082_28-105 LAA.JPG
    D3X_3082_28-105 LAA.JPG
    678.8 KB · Views: 145
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent general use lens? Im looking for something in the 24mm-70mm range but not looking for pro line glass. Just something that will cover FF, new or old, non-prime, and not anything too expensive. Its use would be a bit of street shooting (why I would like something fairly wide like 24mm) and for walks/hikes with the wife.

Its for a Nikon D600
24-85 vr. It's light, it's cheap, it's sharp!

Make sure you get the vr version.

-Mobile Matt

Most reactions

New Topics

Back