getting 1st dslr -->HELP!

itsanaddiction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I'm getting my first dSLR! YES! however, I'm not sure what I want. I've researched from every possible angle and have talked to so many people that everything they say makes sense, however it has become canon vs nikon and which model?!?!

Here's the thing, I'm a photography major at LSU. Whatever camera I have, I'll have for a LONG time. I can afford something good, and more than likely your opinion will help me decide! So please - tell me what model and manufactures and WHY! I would like technical reasons -- not b/c its the brand or b/c you just do! Thanks

Budget?

I love my Canon 40D, but a friend's Nikon D300 makes me drool.

not sure of my budget yet - i'm saving and saving so i'll have to see - i would say probably say $1000-$2000 - with a lens

I know the Canon side of things better than Nikon, so here's a stab at Canon. It would be great if a Nikon user would give input on a couple Nikon camera combinations.

Here are two setups I'd recommend. Let's go with 1,000 and 2,000

$1000 setup...
*XTi w/ kit lens (18-55mm) will cost you around $580 if you look in the right places. Maybe less if you know of somewhere I don't.
*Canon 75-300 - around $150
*Canon 50mm f/1.8 - $80
Then you're at just over $800. You have a good focal range from pretty wide (18mm) to pretty far (300mm). Put your extra 200 bucks towards a new lens once you figure out what exactly you plan on shooting.

$2000 setup...
*Canon 40D w/ 28-135mm IS lens. $1500
*Canon 50mm f/1.4 $300
This will give you a quality setup, with a couple hundred to spare. You will probably realize you need either wider angle, or a farther tele zoom lens, and you can put your extra 200 towards either.

So please - tell me what model and manufactures and WHY!

Whichever one feels most comfortable in your hands. Why? Because it's the one you'll use most, and take the best photos with, because it will become a part of you more easily. All of them will take great photos, all of them have decent lens selections, all of them will have a third of the forum saying "You made a great choice", another third saying "You should have bought (x)" and the last third saying "We don't care, as long as you enjoy it and take great photos with it".

It comes down to what you're going to feel more comfortable using, simple as that.

Whichever one feels most comfortable in your hands. Why? Because it's the one you'll use most, and take the best photos with, because it will become a part of you more easily. All of them will take great photos, all of them have decent lens selections, all of them will have a third of the forum saying "You made a great choice", another third saying "You should have bought (x)" and the last third saying "We don't care, as long as you enjoy it and take great photos with it".

It comes down to what you're going to feel more comfortable using, simple as that.

Nicely put.

I tell you, I really like my 40D more than my old XT for the same reason. It simply feels good. The viewfinder is comfortable to look through because it is bigger, the body is bigger in my hand, and feels more comfy, I like the wheel on the back, it makes scrolling through menus a breeze, and the larger LCD is nice. Honestly, the main advantage I've seen of the upgrade to the 40D was the way it feels. Natural.

The same thing goes for Nikon I'm sure.

Blah blah blah go hold the camera blah blah both brands are equally good blah blah can you tell how many millions of times this question has been asked.

From the Nikon side, a D80 or D300 would be in your price range, depending on what side of that range you want to stay on. I would go to a shop, hold both brands, Pentax and Sony too if that is your pleasure, work the controls, use the menus and determine what "system" you want to buy into. Once you make that first purchase, as you add to your system, it's harder and harder to justify changing brands. Also, as you become familiar with a brands layout and menu's, newer cameras of that brand will feel like an old friend to you, and the learning curve will be a lot less painful.

Thanks for the help! I think I'm going to go with a 40d right after the holidays! (Maybe they'll go on sale...) Thanks again!!

I'd also look into Pentax. The k10 is a great body, and it's cheaper than the Nikon and Canon equivalents. A cheaper body would leave you with more money to spend on glass.

You'll love the 40D, I have it's (2 generations) older cousin the 20D. I love it. Essentially similar body (the 40D has a larger LCD, slightly taller body, and a deep finger groove in the grip), same viewfinder, similar button layout, and the second I picked it up (after owning an XT for 8 months) it felt 3 times as familiar. It was like the XT should have been fo rhtose 8 months, I felt like I had already been shooting with it before the first shutter release. That's why I traded up. A 40D will hopefully give you the same feeling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back