Getting a DSLR

BrotherB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm currently deployed right now, and once I get back here in the next couple months I'm going to get my first DSLR. I was wondering what would be a good starter camera, I'm not looking to spend nearly a grand for a starter camera. The camera will be used alot for taking photos of what i love most and that is cars and landscape. I have read from people that took photo's with a DSLR of cars that they need to purchase a polarized lens, is this true? What all would i need or what would you recommend that i buy for taking photo's of what I have stated above?

I am sure they were referring to a Polarizing filter that you screw onto your lens. Thie filter helps reduce reflections from certain surfaces. It is not a cure-all though, especially when it comes to metal (chrome on the cars). It will help though. I would recommend a entry level DSLR from Canon or Nikon. Canon Rebel XTi is a good little camera and you will likely be happy with the kit lens that comes with it if you get the wide one. The 18-55 would be good for landscapes and car shots. You can get the Rebel XTi with 17-55 from Amazon for about $630.

Derrick

I cannot speak of the Nikons, because I have never even thought about owning one.

Montana is correct, you just need a circular polarizing filter for the lens.

As far as Canon vs. Nikon. Best thing to do is go to a store and hold both of them and play with the controls to see which one fits you better. I personally went with the Nikon D60 with 18-55mm VR (vibration reduction) lens. For me the Nikon was just more comfortable in my hands. Both Canon and Nikon are great cameras and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Any of the entry level cameras will be just fine. Canon, Nikon, Sony, pentax... Whatever. People that tell you to get one brand over another just don't know what they are talking about.
All the systems have advantages and inconvenients. Just go and put your hand on everything that is within your pricerange, play around with the controls, take a few snapshots...
Then whichever feels better in your hands is the right one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back