getting everyone in focus

1/50th isn't helping much either.
They may not be moving to you but any slight movement is going to create blur, even if ever so slightly.

I'd say go up to at least 1/125th shutter

and go to AF-S Single, and focus on one of the peoples eyes. THEN you know where the focus point is Going to be .. rather than hoping the camera picks a proper location. The camera may pick the best contrast item, which may not even be the people.

Then get the proper DOF/Aperture setting.
then select the proper ISO for all the above.

Dear OP;

Greetings.

Your DOF is not deep enough to cover both faces.

See how the lady is positioned behind the man?

For that pose to work (i.e.: both in focus) you need to increase the DOF.

Have you calculated the DOF for this shot?

My guess is that you have not.

One other way to get both faces in focus WITH THE SAME SETTINGS is to reposition the folks so that both faces are the same distance from the lens.

Two choices:

1. Increase the DOF.

OR

2. Reposition the people.

Another choice:

3. Do both.

If you don't want to change camera settings then you need to take a step (or two back) and she needs to step forward to be closer to the same plane as he is.

His eyes seem a little soft to me in this example but it could be my contacts and this monitor.

i can't step back because there's a wall directly behind me. i have the ideas before i go in and in this one i really wanted her behind him sharpening the knives behind his back. originally i had her a lot further back then kept having to move her closer and closer but any more than that then the original idea is gone.
i think i will go work on my DoF

i can't step back because there's a wall directly behind me. i have the ideas before i go in and in this one i really wanted her behind him sharpening the knives behind his back. originally i had her a lot further back then kept having to move her closer and closer but any more than that then the original idea is gone.

To get the shot you are wanting, this is what is required. The suggestions above will help you get there.

It's hard to put up an image and have it shredded and to "excuse" all the issues away and be head strong with one idea. However, in the end, you have to ask yourself, do I want to get the shot I envisioned or to settle for what you have?

Good luck with your project.

Image itself is pretty good but for the DOF issue :p

Dear OP;

Greetings.

Your DOF is not deep enough to cover both faces.

See how the lady is positioned behind the man?

For that pose to work (i.e.: both in focus) you need to increase the DOF.

Have you calculated the DOF for this shot?

My guess is that you have not.

One other way to get both faces in focus WITH THE SAME SETTINGS is to reposition the folks so that both faces are the same distance from the lens.

Two choices:

1. Increase the DOF.

OR

2. Reposition the people.

Another choice:

3. Do both.
you correctly point out that i have not calculated the DoF. i'm going in with an idea and trying to make it happen in super quick time. the settings i've been previously using have been pleasing me and so i have up till now have seen no reason to change. i am forcing myself into these situations as a way to improve quickly. i have another one on friday (three people) and will take on a bit of what everyone has said and see what happens.

1/50th isn't helping much either.
They may not be moving to you but any slight movement is going to create blur, even if ever so slightly.

I'd say go up to at least 1/125th shutter

and go to AF-S Single, and focus on one of the peoples eyes. THEN you know where the focus point is Going to be .. rather than hoping the camera picks a proper location. The camera may pick the best contrast item, which may not even be the people.

Then get the proper DOF/Aperture setting.
then select the proper ISO for all the above.

To get the shot you are wanting, this is what is required. The suggestions above will help you get there.

It's hard to put up an image and have it shredded and to "excuse" all the issues away and be head strong with one idea. However, in the end, you have to ask yourself, do I want to get the shot I envisioned or to settle for what you have?

Good luck with your project.
thanks man. i appreciate it. if i pluck up enough courage i might come back on one day.

The BEST method to learn about DOF is to
1 - take a tape measure with you (yes, I really mean it).

2 - use a DOF calculator on your smart phone - input your lens, camera sensor type, distance to subject, aperture.
==> A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

3 - measure out the results of the DOF calculator

then
4 - reposition your subjects AND/OR change your camera settings

practice with stuffed animals first ... easy to reposition and they don't move albeit falling over from time to time.

Actually measuring it out gives you EXACT concepts on the environment and settings versus just thinking it should be okay. I've done this .. it does wonders to erase perception and insert reality.

Then learn a little about good shutter speeds for portraiture

If you are dead set on not changing your settings then your last option would be a tilt/shift lens.

Image itself is pretty good but for the DOF issue :p
Braineack, this was my first ever post to any forum and so i was slightly pissed off by the first reply that reached my eyes. but i can understand that perhaps people with a wealth of experience and technique might go "oh no, here's another one 'what does aperture mean?? can anyone help?pleeeease!!'". i get that. but ya gotta to be nice to us little guys. some of us are a little bit further down the road. not much, but some. and we want to learn.
thanks for your advice and i'll see you next time

Also your D7100 should be ok up to Iso 1600 in good light, especially with flash.

2 - use a DOF calculator on your smart phone - input your lens, camera sensor type, distance to subject, aperture.

then

practice with stuffed animals first ... easy to reposition and they don't move albeit falling over from time to time.

Actually measuring it out gives you EXACT concepts on the environment and settings versus just thinking it should be okay. I've done this .. it does wonders to erase perception and insert reality.

If you are dead set on not changing your settings then your last option would be a tilt/shift lens.
i am willing to change my settings. honest. and i will and i'll get back to ya'll with the proof.
thanks for the comment

then

i'll give it a whirl and get back to you. thanks for taking the time to help
cheers

Also your D7100 should be ok up to Iso 1600 in good light, especially with flash.
yeah, i think i'm going to go and learn some more stuff. winging and praying can only get you so far and i think i've reached that point, right here.

to be continued.....

If she is sharpening that knife her head will be moving and if the ambient light is more powerful that the flash 1/50 is not fast enough, do you know when shooting flash and ambient light you have 2 exposures

Most reactions

Back