Getting ready to order my D700!! Worth it?

Jen,
Wait, just a few days!!! Nikon and Canon are rumored to be announcing new cameras on March 8 and 9. Now, it might be just the new interchangeable lens, mirrorless camera from Nikon--but it also could be the new D900, or something like that...

...now, I know there are brand new rebates on almost all the higher-end Nikon bodies, and the D700 has dipped to $2,399 after rebate, but if there is another Nikon body announced, and there could be one, because Father's Day and summer vacation and graduation make up the second-largest camera sales period of the year, you could have a major case of buyer's remorse.

Some people speculate that Nikon might put a full-frame sensor in a D90-class body, to have a camera comparable to the Canon EOS 5D or 5D-II, for a lower price than the 5D-II. Full-frame, but a light,simple body with a 12 MP image sensor, and at a price low enough to undercut Sony's $1899 full-frame body.

As far as lenses go: the D700 will automatically switch to DX format capture size when a DX-Nikkor is mounted on it. The 18-55 will probably not cover the full FX frame at the wider end, but I think it might at the longer end. And the 55-200: telephoto lenses do not have a large image circle, so I think it ought to do okay on a D700. As far as needing "top-quality glass", that's more of a myth than a reality. A large, full frame sensor with huge pixels due to a 12-13 MP sensor pixel count can turn in QUITE excellent results with only "good" lenses from the 1970's or 1980's because the sensor size is roughly 2.25x larger than a DX Nikon sensor is; small sensors depend hugely upon ultra-high lens Modulation Transfer Function ie--high resolving power and high contrast lens delivery to the senor, but a bigger, full-frame, low-pixel count camera like the Canon 5D, Nikon D3 and D700 series cameras---those cameras do good work with lenses that are NOT ultra-high-quality because the sensor is bigger, the pixels are bigger, and the results do not need to be "enlarged" nearly as much.

With a D700, you could do okay buying old, 1990's AF-D Nikkor lenses, and still get great pictures. That was one reason the original Canon 5D was so,so good: a 12MP full-frame sensor hits the sweet spot on multiple counts. BIG pixel wells, so good High-ISO; low pixel density, so forgiving of lens MTF deficiencies, and almost any lens designed over the last 30 years is adequate to excellent.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just read an article about using the two together. Luckily I rarely use the DX lenses, so they won't be missed much...and I plan on keeping my D40, so I can always still use them on it.

I want high ISO. I love shooting natural light photography and sometimes I travel to people's home where the lighting is poor and other isn't much room for equipment. Plus, the $500 difference in the D300 to the D700 isn't worth comparing the two.

I've come very far in the short year I've been photographing and if I continue to grow I'll wish I had just bought the D700 instead of messing around and buying one in between.

And yes, I agree. I need to learn more of the technical side of photography. But knowing the tech side in and out and knowing how to capture a great photo are not the same. I'll eventually get there! :)

Uh!! That's what I'm afraid of Derrel. Thanks! Maybe I'll hold off to see!

You could wait another year for the next generation and then you would have to wait again for the next generation and so on :lol:

I can wait a week though!!

No, money burning in my pocket. I've just become REALLY busy with business and it would be nice to step it up a notch. My husband is one of those men that saves every penny, so I'm surprised hes letting go of some to let me buy the thing!!

upcoming possible releases of new camera aside i personally think you would be better off with a D90 and 28-70 or 24-70. you should get enough high iso out of the D90 and your 50 f/1.4 for indoor natural light and the 28-70 is such a phenomenal lens. if you find business booming that much more you can always pickup an FX down the line, the D90 is a very solid backup body.

if you get the D700 there isn't any way you would be disappointed, but your original question was is it worth it. if i were in your shoes i would choose a D90 + 28-70 over D700 for what you shoot. if you said weddings then yes, D700.

Don't worry about the fear mongerers or those that are carry the "gear envy" malady. There will be a learning curve, but it shouldn't be too bad. The only reason NOT to get the D700 is if it will pinch your finances. If it does...... go easy there tiger.

If you mostly use the 50mm now, it will certainly fully function on the D700. However, be aware that it will not behave the same on a FX sensor. You will get a greater Field of View. To get similarly, you'd want something like the 85mm. If I didn't already have the f/1.8, I would certainly go with the f/1.4 to maxamize your potential. Those two lenses can keep you happy enough until you figure out what else is needed.

But in the end, be prepared to spend extra $$$ for lenses from now on if you go D700.

But knowing the tech side in and out and knowing how to capture a great photo are not the same.
Having a full and complete understanding of the technical side is what gives the photographer full control over the image and allows the photographer to fully embrace the creative and artistic opportunities of photography.

Any deficiency in understanding the tech side means camera and lens capabilities that remain unknown, unsuspected, and not utilized.

With the advent of digital, that technical expertise now also encompasses the computer, because a photographer lacking an understanding of color management (color spaces, color profiles, monitor calibration, file management) and image editing, forgos yet another avenue of control over the image that is available. ;)

It's not a money thing though....it's not like I have x amount I want to blow on camera stuff. I just think I need to upgrade. I'm shadowing at about 5 weddings this Spring/Summer (mainly helping out a friend), so who know's...I may want to do weddings some day. Right now I'd say NO WAY! lol But I don't want to upgrade again in a year.

I just want to make sure it will be worth the upgrade and it sounds like you all think it's a great camera too! So YAY!!

I agree KmH, but it doesn't hold one back from producing a beautiful images. I read and study when I have time. I've only been shooting for a year...SO much to learn!!

Someone correct me if I am wrong here; but, Jen says that her main interest is portraits in low natural lighting ... Does she really want lenes that get her down to such low f/stops? Speaking in terms of DOF is she's not careful @ f/1.4 her subject's nose could be in focus and the eyes could be soft, or vice-versa.

I would argue FOR her to get the FX sensor in the D700 as it excels in those higher ISO that would allow her to shoot those higer ISOs and get an apperture that would allow her to keep her subject's face in focus ...

Again, correct me if I am wrong; but that's just my thinking on this one ...

And, for those of you who are just 'hating' here - who cares what her knowledge level is compared to what camera she shoots ... Could someone learn to drive a manual transmission on a Porsche? Yes, they could ... If you can afford to learn on the best. Why not do it.

I say, if you know what the camera is, what it can do, you want it, and you have the money......get it.
I bought the D5000 and even though i am still very much a beginner, i know in a years time, i will want something even better....
You are thinking ahead and that's great! You may be able to sweet talk the hubby into a new lens once you get used to the new camera!
The way i see it, (as you said) no need to buy something else you will want to upgrade again in a year or so.
Depending on what you charge for your services, you could make your money back in a years time!

Full-frame Nikon... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's all I have to add.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back