Getting rid of glare in photos

Mullen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon S3 IS and when I take photos that involve the sun, I usually end up with spots from glare in them. Is a polarizing lens what I'm looking for? If so, can someone recomend me one?

I think you're getting lens flares. Can you post a sample? If it's lens flares due to the brightness of the Sun, a polarizing filter isn't going to help. Just not shooting towards the Sun. You can try doing some sort of make-shift lens hood, but it's just a fact of optics.

Do you mean glare or lens flare? A filter won't remove this. This is a function of internal reflections inside the lens. Complex coatings and expensive lenses can reduce it but still only bring it down to acceptable levels and not eliminate it totally.

Do you mean glare or lens flare? A filter won't remove this. This is a function of internal reflections inside the lens. Complex coatings and expensive lenses can reduce it but still only bring it down to acceptable levels and not eliminate it totally.

Actually I do suppose I mean flare.. the purple and red spots in this photo:

example3jz1.jpg

That's lens flare. If you already have a lens hood on there really isn't much you can do to stop it short of a better quality lens, as better quality lenses will have a better coating.

Ya I would experiment with lens hoods and try to shoot the sun at a different angle.

Actually, I was have the same tiff with my S3 a few months ago. I forgot exactly what I did, but a found a way to work around it with some pretty god results, at least comparatively.

Next time the sun is out, I'll tinker around, try to find out exactly what things I changed, and get back to you... and hopefully not make any glareing mistakes this time when I try to insert a thumbnail!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back