Getting sharper images indoors

Kylee Dahl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My settings for the following image where 1/20 f 4.8
I'm trying to improve my indoor photo skills and I am struggling with getting sharp images. Particularly when photographing my quick-moving 8 month old son.
This photo would have been great if his hands weren't blurry.
image.jpg

My understanding is that the slower the shutter speed, the more light can come through your lens, usually a slower shutter is needed when good lighting is limited. Along with slow shutter speed however, comes the inability to capture moving objects clearly.
I've seen some great indoor photography without the use of flash and I would love to figure out how to better my skills.

ISO is another element to the equation that can be increased. I'm really quite surprised that you were able to capture that shot at 1/20. If if the subject was completely still it's easy for there to be some camera movement when the shutter is that slow (unless on a tripod).

Adding light will help, too

I like the hands moving blur in this photo, it`s like a freeze of what he was doing at that time playing with the Christmas tree balls

John.

You will need to increase your shutter speed, try 1/50 or faster. To compensate you'll either need to boost your ISO or use a flash. Investing in a decent flash that you can articulate would be a good choice if you do lots of indoor photography.

ISO is another element to the equation that can be increased. I'm really quite surprised that you were able to capture that shot at 1/20. If if the subject was completely still it's easy for there to be some camera movement when the shutter is that slow (unless on a tripod).

I can't believe I haven't thought about that! I tend to forget about the ISO. I'm pretty sure it was set to 200 here. Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.

Welcome, Kylee Dahl!

You should do some tests in various situations to get an idea of how high you can go with your ISO without having too much noise.

You have to think about it different. A slow SS does not let in more light. It allows the same amount of light to hit the sensor for a longer period of time.

Like someone else said, bump up your ISO. You should see minimal grain up to Iso 3200 with any modern DSLR.

Adding additional lighting is your best bet.

Most reactions

Back