Getting started.

2DArray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had a camera for a long time (Fujifilm FinePix S9100; that sort of hybrid DSLR/P&S thing), but hadn't used it much until recently. I took a photography class last year, but it covered lots of other things as well (like various computer elements, video, 3D, etc), so I hadn't done much photography, though I do understand the concepts.

I'm currently on vacation in Japan and have been taking loads of pictures, and am quickly regretting that I hadn't started sooner. Regardless, I'm looking for some critique and general tips. I'll put up a few photos that I personally like, and at the bottom I'll link the whole lot of pictures from this trip. A few in the set aren't serious pictures, and instead are just "tourist shots" of things that I laughed at when I saw them. Silly Japan.

I was messing with various styles, so hopefully that shows. Some of them are close up DoF shots because I'm a sucker for those, some of them are "the big picture" shots that don't have one specific subject, and at least one is very shopped and stylized. No portraits though, because I hate people in general.

Some rust and some pipes.
Banzai!
A very pink flower.
Tons of signs and wires.
A pretty bleak subway.
Some carp.

And here's the whole set, stupid tourist pics included:
The whole lot.

Any feedback is welcome, including "OH GOD U SUX" because then at least I'd know.

i really like them :thumbup: i can't give much advice on improving since i'm only a beginner myself, but it looks like you've got an eye for a photo

I like the carp and the hallway. The carp almost became a texture shot, which is neat.

I see why you shot the pipes, but I don't think it quite worked... I think you might have had to pull in tighter to get more detail or try some wild angles, or both.

I also like the carp, made my daughter squemish. :lol:

For me the street scene almost worked, but the sky looks over exposed washing out the wires. But I'm just a beginner, so what do I know.

For the more experienced out there, what would be the best way to account for the brightness?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back