Getting to the models.

Seriously, practice on yourself. You're always there, always available. If you've got time, it turns our that you also have time! It's amazing!

Reality bites sometimes. Dogs behind chainlinked fences and under exposed shots of a window with a curtain is not gonna draw in the ladies. Practice on friends, family or inanimate objects first to hone you skillz. What I saw on your website was pretty dismal. Photographing people is hard work, so become a student first. Don't be a GWC.

I mentioned that I am just starting out. :p And I've mentioned everything what you have said also.:p Read carefully, thanks for your post!

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...lenges/323231-getting-models.html#post2919288

And also I mentioned that the photographs I have took isn't going to draw models and beside it was my "fun" photograph to take, pretty much my practice photographs. Still working on the exposure.

Last edited:
Seriously, practice on yourself. You're always there, always available. If you've got time, it turns our that you also have time! It's amazing!
Sure will, I need to start taking as much photographs as I can so to improve myself and be better than I am right now. Thanks for your help!

My suggestion... find someone you already know who is willing to model and work with her until you feel you are actually going to be able to give the models GOOD pictures that will HELP their portfolio. Then upload your portfolio so the prospective models can see what you are capable of producing.

Then approach one to collaborate... TFP. (trade their) Time for (your) Pictures.

You can probably shoot repeatedly with the same models so long as you are both having fun and advancing your goals.

Keep your hands off!! Keep it professional!

Don't screw up, screw over, creep out, offend, or upset any model in any way! The modeling world is a very small world already, and in your isolated geographic area... ANY bad rep, whether deserved or not, can end your access to models.

Definitely agree with you on that. And I have already looked into how to warm up a model and such, I know that to not ever touch a model unless it's necessary such as to move things (such as hairs) but always guide a model on what to do to herself for me such as changing position on the set and as well what to put on and where to move.

As I have mentioned in earlier post in this thread that there's not anyone that know the importance of photography, every one of them in my area/community doesn't even know what "photography model" is and that they could benefit from being so. That's why I am on searching models on a website (modelmayhem) in hope to find one and surprisingly did.

I will be heading out on a five hours trip to Tenn with a lady who is a friend of mine to Pigeon Forge, maybe I could get her to help me out to kickstart my portfolio. I and her did had a talk about that and she doesn't even know what "photography model" is and she has no experience at all obviously at being a model. I told her that I will flat out give her 50 dollars if she will work with me and she only agreed as long as she has clothes on and I finally asked her to wear a bit less (swimsuits such as) for 50 dollars and beside we're staying at a hotel that has indoor heated pool so it'd be perfect place to photograph her in that area and even with her clothes on, it'd still be great as there's many beautiful scenery in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. So that should give me a chance to experience and improve it while I am at it.

Last edited:
I have often wondered about this as well since I am in the same scenario as the original poster; small community and limited photography experience.

My thoughts were to work with a model (models) doing non-nudes, and IF the subject of doing nudes was broached, and she was interested in some for her own portfolio and use, I could start by using a separate smart card and let her keep the photos. In this way she would be in control of her first nudes and know I was not a creep or going to do something indecent with her photos. Yes it would be using my skills as a photographer, but if it kept her at ease, it may lead into a professional partnership that would work down the road. I know I certainly would be willing to give away a smart card if it would help my photography out long term.

Just a thought on a way of building trust...

I have often wondered about this as well since I am in the same scenario as the original poster; small community and limited photography experience.

My thoughts were to work with a model (models) doing non-nudes, and IF the subject of doing nudes was broached, and she was interested in some for her own portfolio and use, I could start by using a separate smart card and let her keep the photos. In this way she would be in control of her first nudes and know I was not a creep or going to do something indecent with her photos. Yes it would be using my skills as a photographer, but if it kept her at ease, it may lead into a professional partnership that would work down the road. I know I certainly would be willing to give away a smart card if it would help my photography out long term.

Just a thought on a way of building trust...

So how would this system work? I mean you would still need photos for your portfolio.

Anyhow, I would defiantly start out fully clothed.

Its always a good idea to work with a few paid models to begin with.

That way you can build up your portfolio, and as its not TFP, the models don't need any photos.

If you made a f-up, and you have no good photos, at least you don't have anyone on your back asking for photos.

Tailgunner said:
>SNIP> Anyhow, I would defiantly start out fully clothed.

Hold on tailgunner...dontcha' think open defiance might put the models off their feed?

Most reactions

Back