Getting your first camera..

Krauth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys im new here took me a few weeks to get the "post thread" button but nvm getting to the subject

i want to start with photography and i need help picking up my first camera i tried searching google for some articles which i dont really know if its that professional so i thought i will actually ask people :)

i dont really know what kind of information i should provide for you to help me out but if you can ask me questions im sure ill be able to answer them

Welcome. Budget, film or digital, what kinds of photography you plan on doing. Where your from.

i want to start with vistas scenery photos, im from israel the budget is between 800-1000$ and digital

Something like a Lumix FZ1000 or a Sony RX100 V

I'd recommend a major brand such as Nikon or Canon, depending which is most available for support and service in your area. You want a camera body, at least two lenses and a tripod to be included in your busget.

I'll recommend the stuff I bought. Its mostly in my signature.

You'll probably want a widish angle lens although scenery can certainly be shot with longer lenses.

There are many brands. They're probably all good. Its not like Sony or Panasonic are non major, small companies.

Buy something you have access to for more lens etc. at a store or online or something. Mahbe a feiend shoots Olympus, buy that brand then and you'll have a great source of info in your friend.

Tripods are sorta usefull for scenery but unless you plan on shooting low light ( or some other reason: artistic effect etc) you wont need a tripod until you need one lol. It'll eat up half your budget so just go grab a camera you can afford and have fun.

Half people shoot Canon and other half are Nikors. Them two companies have the largest selection and support systems. The other half think/ wannabe/ they're different.

I heard theres TWO cameras in one on the iPhone 7!! Thats like exactly your budget :)

Plus theres tons of good point and shoot cameras you might want to waste money on. Vistas await.

Did you really thinkbthey want to shoot film @jcdeboever ? Lol.

... The other half think/ wannabe/ they're different.
Hi,
I can assure you I´m not one of those ;). Canon and Nikon both are great companies. However, lately Sony has taken quite a big step forward and in some areas even overtaken the other two.
I´d suggest the Sony a6000. You get a lot of bang for the buck with this camera, which will help you get a great camera within your budget.
Pros:
  • very lightweight - if you are going for vistas, you might want something that doesn´t weigh too much
  • Small - with bigger DSLRs people tend to be a little suspicious about you. The Sony looks like a not so professional camera (having cameras in almost every size, I can say that this is a big Pro)
  • Electronic Viewfinder - while an optical viewfinder has its pros too, an EVF can be used to easily review your images (and videos) even in the worst lighting conditions (e.g. bright sun)
  • Many functions (you might never even need ;) )
  • Fast focus compared to other cameras in its class
  • 11 frames per second shooting - in case you are going to shoot something that moves fast
  • if you are considering video, this camera has a great autofocus for video
Cons:
  • not the biggest range of lenses available, but getting better pretty quick
  • the better sony (zeiss) lenses are somewhat more exensive than those of Canon and Nikon
  • Not a big used market for lenses
  • Battery life is rather short - that doesn´t really matter though, but you have to consider buying more (third party) batteries and still stay within your initial budget.
  • Accessories. just like with lens choice, every rather new system offers less accessory options, but most things are available.
  • Sensor dust. The missing mirror exposes your sensor when you change lenses. That way it is more likely that you get the one or the other dust particle on your sensor and need to clean more often than with DSLRs.
  • It is now almost 3 years old and there are cameras with better low light capabilities.

thanks for all your suggestions i checked out in most stores and it seems that Canon and Nikon are more popular here i havent checked Sony a6000 but ill get to it now and give it a search to see if its availble here if not then theres always Ebay or Amazon in my life haha

i know that Canon and Nikon can be modified is that the same for sony? my main intention is to buy a camera that can be modified so i can actually learn about photography and different lenses and in what situations they need to be used thats the more interesting part the boring part is just to make high-res Texture pictures for myself (im a designer) but im leaning toward the interesting part :) i got a Chromecast which was the most boring thing i ever did in my life but when you dont run videos on chromecast it actually shows you pictures of other people and it sort of lit a fire inside me and i wanted to go out more and take scenery pictures and in the future pictures of animals too (i dont know if theres a name for it but i loved the extra zoomed in pictures on bugs and other animals)

P.S: if the budget goes overboard it really is not that critical ill just work a little extra and add up

Yes, the Sony a6000 is an interchangeable lens camera with a hot shoe, so you can switch lenses and add flashes to it and everything.

The "extra zoomed in" pictures you mentioned are called macro. Macro lenses are a specialty lens, and all the companies have some available. I think Nikon calls them "micro" lenses, but it's the same thing.

Best thing to do is see which camera feels best to you and go with that one. I would just get it with the lens that comes with it for now, and save up to purchase additional lenses later. It's hard to know when you're just starting out which lenses you'll actually need, but after spending some time with the kit lens you'll get a better feel for what you need.

Best bang for the buck is still from Canikon, though Fuji X is starting to challenging that.

Preferably get everything used, of course while avoiding crap, such as cameras with high shutter counts or lenses that have defects.

Either a Nikon D3100, D3200, D3300 (cheapest you can find really, these cameras are not "serious" per se) plus kitzoom 18-55 as a feet to test the water if you like photography as a hobby anyway.

Or a Nikon D7100 with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC if you are sure you want to do photography longtime and want to really learn the trade.

The main advantage of the D7100 is that it has a lot of external controls, thus once you learned the camera, you can operate it quickly. It is also complete in respect to features - even if you need relatively "exotic" features. While cameras of the lower series still appear intentionally crippled.

Its a camera that you can easily learn with and it can be all the camera you'll ever need - until it breaks, of course, because all digital cameras will ultimately break down (film cameras can last "forever").

However, lately Sony has taken quite a big step forward and in some areas even overtaken the other two.
Sony still doesnt show any ambition whatsoever to turn into a photographic company. Anything that doesnt appear on spec sheets is awful with Sony cameras. Poor service, poor lens selection, lenses are of low quality and expensive.

Especially the A6x00 cameras are of poor construction and infamous for their overheating issue.

Best bang for the buck is still from Canikon, though Fuji X is starting to challenging that.

Preferably get everything used, of course while avoiding crap, such as cameras with high shutter counts or lenses that have defects.

Either a Nikon D3100, D3200, D3300 (cheapest you can find really, these cameras are not "serious" per se) plus kitzoom 18-55 as a feet to test the water if you like photography as a hobby anyway.

Or a Nikon D7100 with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC if you are sure you want to do photography longtime and want to really learn the trade.

The main advantage of the D7100 is that it has a lot of external controls, thus once you learned the camera, you can operate it quickly. It is also complete in respect to features - even if you need relatively "exotic" features. While cameras of the lower series still appear intentionally crippled.

Its a camera that you can easily learn with and it can be all the camera you'll ever need - until it breaks, of course, because all digital cameras will ultimately break down (film cameras can last "forever").

However, lately Sony has taken quite a big step forward and in some areas even overtaken the other two.
Sony still doesnt show any ambition whatsoever to turn into a photographic company. Anything that doesnt appear on spec sheets is awful with Sony cameras. Poor service, poor lens selection, lenses are of low quality and expensive.

Especially the A6x00 cameras are of poor construction and infamous for their overheating issue.
Nothing wrong with different opinions. I am a pretty experienced Canon Shooter. I own 6 Canon DSLR bodies, four of which being full frame and 4 Sony bodies - one being the a6000 and one being the a7rII. At the moment I use sony for 90% of my work - even though I have the choice to use the Canons.
I have recommended the a6000 to my father in law, to a friend and to the most succesfull youtuber in my country. They are all extremely happy with the camera.

Overheating with sony cameras is mainly an issue if you record 4K videos for an extended period of time. The a6000 doesn´t even provide 4K videos.

thanks for all your suggestions i checked out in most stores and it seems that Canon and Nikon are more popular here i havent checked Sony a6000 but ill get to it now and give it a search to see if its availble here if not then theres always Ebay or Amazon in my life haha

i know that Canon and Nikon can be modified is that the same for sony? my main intention is to buy a camera that can be modified so i can actually learn about photography and different lenses and in what situations they need to be used thats the more interesting part the boring part is just to make high-res Texture pictures for myself (im a designer) but im leaning toward the interesting part :) i got a Chromecast which was the most boring thing i ever did in my life but when you dont run videos on chromecast it actually shows you pictures of other people and it sort of lit a fire inside me and i wanted to go out more and take scenery pictures and in the future pictures of animals too (i dont know if theres a name for it but i loved the extra zoomed in pictures on bugs and other animals)

P.S: if the budget goes overboard it really is not that critical ill just work a little extra and add up

As cherylynne1 already explained - the a6000 is very similar to a DSLR - this rather new type of camera is called mirrorless. The big techical difference is that there is no mirror in front of your shutter that reflects the image that is produced by your lens into the optical viewfinder. Instead of optical, the viewfinder therefore is digital, which has pros and cons, but in general doesn´t make much of a difference.

Regarding the boring part ;) - usually textures can be created with almost any camera since the quality doesn´t have to be that great.

For the macro-stuff you would need a macro lens, because other cameras have a longer so called close focus distance (and if you can´t get close to an object, the magnification ratio will be comparatively small): Sony lenses are around 20-30% more expensive in this regard - but I can´t second the solarflares opintion on sony lenses. Every single one I own (except for the 16-35mm f4) is better than the Canon pentant. Much of it is due to the fact that most of the Sony lenses are very new while some Canon lenses were created years ago, when digital Sensors didn´t have the same resolution as they have these days and so it didn´t matter that much.

thanks guys i looked it thru and sony a6000 is also available in israel thou in a much smaller quantity for some reason and i need to drive a little far from my city to buy it but its not really a problem im just looking thru some canon bodies and the a6000 i will be going to the store next week to actually test them out i have 2 final questions

if i get one of them what lenses or other addons i should get for the start?

and my other question was about blurriness if i shoot a moving(for example a runner or a fast car) target will it be blurry or it depends on settings and other things?

thanks guys i looked it thru and sony a6000 is also available in israel thou in a much smaller quantity for some reason and i need to drive a little far from my city to buy it but its not really a problem im just looking thru some canon bodies and the a6000 i will be going to the store next week to actually test them out i have 2 final questions

if i get one of them what lenses or other addons i should get for the start?

and my other question was about blurriness if i shoot a moving(for example a runner or a fast car) target will it be blurry or it depends on settings and other things?
Motion blur is dependent of the shutter speed you're using at the time. A slower shutter speed will show motion but will also let more light onto the sensor. So you can control that yourself dependent of the camera you choose. As far as what lens to buy, what do you want to shoot? Indoor, outdoor, scenery, animals? There isn't "one lens fits all" but some zoom lenses can come close if you want an all around lens like an 18-55 and a 55-250 (i don't know what sony offers, just giving examples). So you'd be set from 18-250 basically.

Most reactions

Back