Getting your first camera..

what do you want to shoot? Indoor, outdoor, scenery, animals?

mostly outdoor scenery and animals

Landscape ... wild life ... tend to be at the ends of the focal lengths ... need two lenses for that

Landscape ... wild life ... tend to be at the ends of the focal lengths ... need two lenses for that

which ones? im doing some research and i want to buy everyone in one day because the trip is not something i can do often so im trying to gather all the items i need and leave the store as a happy shopaholic

also i found some tutorials in this forum how useful

I use 10 to 20mm for landscape and 200 to 400mm for wildlife ... though I tend towards wildlife, which is currently lacking for NEX ... I have heard some rumours about new telephoto zooms for e-mount, but I expect them to be higher end IQ (and price).

I would start with the two kit lenses, which are the 16-50 and 55-210. These are reasonably priced and will work well enough for your purposes for now. You may eventually want the 10-18 or the 70-300, but it's best to figure out what you actually need before spending so much money on lenses.

I can´t tell you much about the longer end, because for these I use my canon glass on Sony bodies with an adapter. I do this only because I don´t want to buy all the lenses twice (one canon and one sony), but the autofocus for most Canon lenses with adapter is much slower than with native Sony lenses.
But for the short end, I can absolutely recommend the 10-18 that others suggested. My longest native sony is 200mm and for my style of shooting I don´t really use it much.
You need to first get your hands on a camera for a few weeks/months to see what you like or dislike about specific focal lengths and lenses.
Don´t forget ebay for lenses. Buying used (and later maybe selling lenses) is a good option (if you can trust the seller ;) ).

Regarding your question about moving objects. May I suggest watching our two newest youtube videos about the effects of shutter speed. The first one is a short experiment you can repeat on your own to show you the different effects of fast and slow shutter speed. The second one explains motion blur. The last for this chapter is just being created ;) .

Most reactions

Back