Getting your tripod really wet??

250Gimp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been thinking about using my tripod in some wet and snowy conditions.

What do you think about putting your tripod legs right into a creek or snow?

I wouldn't put the joints into the mud, but they would be in the water or snow.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Cheers :D

Won't bother them unless its salt water. I have put my tripod in many creeks in the mountains but while I was at the ocean, it basically destroyed it because I only washed it off once the whole week. Don't do that. In freshwater, it should be fine.

~Michael~

I'm not a tripod expert, but most, if not all, are made of aluminum or plastic so rust isn't a problem. The biggest concern would be dirt in the moving / sliding parts. For the two cheapo tripods I have, that would be about knee deep. I would leave the legs extended until I could clean them off before sliding them back into the body. A good spray with a hose and then a wipe down should do the trick.

I wouldn't worry about it either. Its equipment designed to serve a purpose, now get out there and use it! Just ribbing you, but I wouldn't hesitate doing it to get a great shot!

Derrick

The only tripod I have is a cheapo $20 thing from Walmart. I've had it for years, and it's been in mud, water, snow, you name it. It still works perfectly fine. Of course you'll want to make sure to clean it off afterwards, but that's not much of a problem.

I've got a nice Manfrotto and I wouldn't even hesitate to put it in the snow/water. Even salt water would be ok if you washed it off when you were done. Besides if it get's you THE shot, what's it matter what happens to the tripod. lol

Like all the above If I hesitated from going in the elements I would not get shots like these.

Sora107copy.jpg

I was set up in about 3 feet of water for this shot
and in marsh muck for this

Shorebirdsandfinches134juizacopy.jpg

I'm not shy at all about where my equiptment goes to get the shot

Me005copy.jpg

Who cares if it gets wet, it's a tripod!!

Even if you go in the ocean with it, just take in the shower and wash it down, leave it open overnight, and the next day it should be dry (enough).

Sometimes, equipment has to get wet to get the shot, no biggie, it's just a tool.

One of my tripods got SOAKED during this shoot, along with my D70 and SB-600's. They all were awesome, no problems :)
2238281206_5e35f36d2a_o.jpg

In below freezing temperatures, I had my Tripod in the lake and during the exposure, my legs were covered in ice and the water around the legs froze too, condensation was dripping off of everything.
3058834582_1060c7d6ce_o.jpg

My tripod, and camera got pretty wet with this shot, Climbed out to the middle of the creek. It bends towards the viewer, you can't see it.
2238362012_134fe511fe_o.jpg

Last edited:
Alminium may not rust, but it does corrode! Keeping it clean will keep it in good shape for a long time. My tripods are all carbon fiber so no worries about that for me. Of course the lock down screws are metal. Just a general cleaning if they get dirty will suffice. I do have a couple older Bogen aluminum monopods. About the only thing showing wear on them is the bottom pad where the small rubber foot came off and just been using it without.

Wipe it down as best as you can while in the field, then give it a clean once you're back home. Not a problem to get wet.

I'm not shy at all about where my equiptment goes to get the shot
"Now that's a knife!" :lol: (and yes, I had to look twice at equiptment)

.....and a lens with it's own neck strap..... gotta love that!

If I would need to stick my Slick tripod into the ocean for 4 hours to get a once in a lifetime shot, I would NOT hesitate. A good rinse in clean (salt-free) water would get rid of most of the harmful stuff, and even if it would rust in time, I could not care less... I got my shot. Tripods are tools that made to take that kind of abyse, and even when they succumb, are easy to replace.

Don't ask me to dip my D700 into the ocean, though... thats where I draw the line... lol

Edit: I missed the post above me as I was typing this one when it came in... but holy cow, walk around with that thing around your neck for a day and you come back home looking like Quasimodo! :lol:

I've been dragging my aluminum Bogen through the water, mud, and snow for 15 years, and it still works great.

Me and the tripod in the snow 4 or 5 years ago (the film camera dates the photo)...

MNsnowstorm.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back