Ghost image with all lens

vansmick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am really stumped! I have a Pentax K20, with a 28-70 Tamron, 70-210 Tamron, 2x converter Tamron and a Tamron AF 70-300. All of a sudden I am seeing a ghost image in every photo, with all lens. I have cleaned the mirrors but it is still there. I am new to digital photography so I am at a loss as to where this could be coming from. I uploaded two test photos I took of an empty perfectly clear blue sky, which now looks like it has an out-of-focus bird in it.

Any suggestions on where this is coming from/what is causing this and - most importantly - how to get rid of it? It just started showing up today when I went to my usual spot to document a pair of nesting Ospreys. Since their eggs are likely to hatch any day now, I am really upset that this is suddenly happened!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Van
Example 1 of mystery shadow.jpg

Attachments

• Example 2 of mystery shadow.jpg
    Example 2 of mystery shadow.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 227
A speck of dust on your sensor. Look up how to clean your camera's sensor safely.

Oh, also don't double post. We'll see it eventually.

I am really stumped! I have a Pentax K20, with a 28-70 Tamron, 70-210 Tamron, 2x converter Tamron and a Tamron AF 70-300. All of a sudden I am seeing a ghost image in every photo, with all lens. I have cleaned the mirrors but it is still there. I am new to digital photography so I am at a loss as to where this could be coming from. I uploaded two test photos I took of an empty perfectly clear blue sky, which now looks like it has an out-of-focus bird in it.

Any suggestions on where this is coming from/what is causing this and - most importantly - how to get rid of it? It just started showing up today when I went to my usual spot to document a pair of nesting Ospreys. Since their eggs are likely to hatch any day now, I am really upset that this is suddenly happened!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
] .

if you seeing it on the image then it's on the sensor, not on the mirror
easy to clean with eclipse solution and swabs (look for a DSLR sensor cleaning kit on ebay, amaz, etc.)

if you seeing it on the image then it's on the sensor, not on the mirror
100% - the mirror isn't in the exposure path.

easy to clean with eclipse solution and swabs (look for a DSLR sensor cleaning kit on ebay, amaz, etc.)
I wouldn't rush out to a wet cleaning solution as my first step. Consider the Arctic Butterfly from Visible Dust; probably the best dry-clean solution on the market IMO.

it's also 26 times the cost of a sensor swap...

I've cleaned a sensor once ever, and I have a D600 :p

Probably blow it off with a Rocket Blower or equivalent. I'd try that first.

Could also be an oil drop. My Canon T3 has gotten that twice now. I spent the money and had the sensor cleaned the first time. However it came back again within 18 months. I just live with it now and only see it if is against a sky or water so I remove it in post.

Most reactions

Back