Ghost in the reflection

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by tpe, Dec 5, 2005.

1. tpe

tpe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It was pointed out to me that this was a double accidental self portrait (70% across the bottom of the picture and 30% up is the easier to see but the same is also vaguely visable in the other bubble), fortunatly that bit was a little out of focus :)

[​IMG]

Any idea what makes it look so dry? all crits apreciated of course, thanks for looking

tim

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You mean to say that in fact these are bubbles on soapy water?
    For it sure does look dry... hadn't you asked, I would never have guessed it was supposed to look wet!
    It is a very interesting photo, and I like the "ghost" in the bubbles :)lol: ) and the colours of the bubbles, too, but it really does not look wet.
    But I cannot tell you why this is so. Sorry.

3. tpe

tpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes and thanks for the kind words LaFoto, it actually looked like that through the viewfinder too, there is no post anything on it, not even cropped, i think it had something to do with the camera angle because one from directly above does look very wet even though it was the same bubble??? but how? The refraction patterns were there in both when they were surrounded by a whiteish tube for lighting.

4. explody pup

explody pup TPF Noob!

Did you have a polarizer on your lens?

Nice shot, nonetheless.

5. tpe

tpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no, no polarizer, and the light was very diffuse because the subject was surrounded by a paper cylinder with spots pointed at it. Could it be that there was so much un polarazed diffuse light around that the light hits from so many directions that any directionalized reflection that would normally make us think something is wet got swamped by so many different reflections at the same time?

tim

6. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

Yeah, try a polarizer. Also you can try burning the shadows in photoshop, that does an "okay" job at simulating a polarizer where one should have been.

7. tpe

tpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    @jadin, So the polarization has it. Actually the dryness was the thing i liked about the picture, and tough getting rid of as many reflections as i could but keeping refraction, it was much easier getting wet ones, but they were all a little ordinary (what am i saying?!?), so in this case i'll avoid the polorizing filter just for this one :). But practice on some others. BTW Thats a very nice gallery you have there.

tim

8. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the bubbles very much! Interesting colours, makes you keep looking at it!

9. Ramiro Orensanz

Ramiro Orensanz TPF Noob!

love the fact that they look dry! dont know why but it gets me a little nervous too.......... great shot!