Gimme Everything You've Got

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Lycanimanomaly, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Lycanimanomaly

Lycanimanomaly TPF Noob!

Hey everybody,
    I've been into photography for the past year 1/2 and everything that I've learned has been self-taught. This'll be my first photo critique and I want you to give me everything you've got. I want to get good enough to become a freelance photographer. So what do you think?

[​IMG]

I took this with an Olympus D-595 Zoom.
    This is me and my ex.
    We're sitting on a large vine that's naturally endowed with 2 seats. There was a tree on either side of us (you can partially see the tree on the right) and I wanted to get both trees in the shot to frame everything but somehow i failed to get the left one completely.

Anyway, I'd love some good constructive criticism on this. Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well the first thing I noticed was that she has a tree growing out of her head.

I can kind of see how you were trying to frame it with the trees...but I think it would work better if you cropped closer. All the stuff around you isn't adding much so get rid of it.

It's a little soft and grainy (noisy)...most of which is probably a limitation of the camera.

I do like the sepia tint you have here, and the whole concept of you two sitting on the vine. It's a nice moment.

3. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I agree with Big Mike... I think cropping it to be a vertical shot might help clean it up a bit and put the focus of the shot and you and your ex. Not bad though...

4. Lycanimanomaly

Lycanimanomaly TPF Noob!

ok i've made the suggested changes.
    I was so comfortable with the original version of this pic that i'm not sure if the changes i've made look right.
    In addition to cropping it i also brightened it a bit.
    Don't know if i can do anything about the noise.
    What do you think about the changes?
    [​IMG]

5. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally I like it better just because it draws the focus to you and the girl.

6. Lycanimanomaly

Lycanimanomaly TPF Noob!

Thanks alot for your suggestions. you rock. :)

7. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    It's one of those shots that needed soft light to set the mood, but I appreciate you have no control of the light....or do you !!!

It would also have been better if you got further back, used a longer lens and pulled focus [shot wider aperture] to seperate the subject from the background.

8. Lycanimanomaly

Lycanimanomaly TPF Noob!

ok i've given it a soft-focus effect. I'm not sure that the end result is the same as if i had manipulated the actual light before i had taken the picture (as this manipulation is digital) but I think it amplifies the mood a lot more.

Could you *or anyone* give me an example of what pulled focus looks like?

[​IMG]

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not familiar with the term "pulled focus" but I think Philip means that a shallow DOF (Depth of Field) would have helped to accentuate the subjects by blurring the background.

10. Lycanimanomaly

Lycanimanomaly TPF Noob!

ok. i see. i think that's all the work i'm going to do on this photo. thank you for your critiques.

11. MDOMINIC

MDOMINIC TPF Noob!

I think if you want strong opinions post this in the 'people photography' forum on www.fredmiranda.com.

12. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you were using an SLR with a depth-of-feild preview you could have focused the subjects as close to the end of the range of focus at whatever f/stop you were at and that would have reduced the DOF even MORE!

What I mean is that if you shoot at say.. f/8, than you'll have about 6 feet worth of depth (probably not, but it's just for the sake of example). If you focus at the end of that 6 feet, you'll have very little depth of field and your subjects will really pop out. however, anythign 6 feet between the subjects and the photogrpaher will be in pretty sharp focus.