Gitzo 3530LS tripod: good alternatives?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by digitalcat, Jun 10, 2010.

1. digitalcat

digitalcat TPF Noob!

Jun 10, 2010

Have a somewhat contradictory question - not the first or the last on here I’m sure, so please don’t shoot me before replyingJ

Am looking for a good tripod (use Nikon D50 and mainly do landscape/close-up shooting). My absolute ideal is Gitzo 3530 LS (borrowed for a time and loved it), but the ridiculous price tag and its unavailability second hand makes me ask for your advice re. a good but cheaper option. Points of importance are,

lightish yet sturdy
    reasonable max height (I’m 5’10’’ [178cm] tall)
    preferably w/out centre column
    reasonable price tag

Any related thoughts/opinions much appreciated!
  2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Oct 6, 2008
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Define reasonable.

The one you listed is in the $750 range. Is reasonable 500? 200? 50?

I'm a fan of Manfrotto tripods. As Gitzo make great tripods, they are at the top of the class, I also find them expensive. If you want to go with lightweight, check out Manfrotto's carbon fiber tripod line.

The 055CX3 runs about $375, but it only holds 8kg, which is much less than that Gitzo. But if you don't plan on putting very heavy lenses, then you should be good. For reference, a Canon 7D + Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS will together weight just under 2.5kg. If you are doing landscape work, I assume the lenses you are using are the ultra heavy lenses, such as the 400 or 600 primes.