Glad to be out shooting again

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Man... It's been a long winter. Since the weather has let up a bit here(Delaware) I'm going to Bombay Hook to take pictures of the birds. What sort of things do I need to think about when shooting wildlife. I don't know what birds to expect there but there should be a lot since we're in the middle of migration. I'll be using my Canon 100mm and maybe my new Sigma 20mm. I've never been to this park however I think it may be a drive through because it's pretty big. If you have any ideas or experiences you want to share I'd appreciate it.

I read about someone who took brilliant wildlife shots from his car. He had a 1D and a 300mm f/2.8 strapped onto the passenger door!

Most of the wildlife / bird photos I've seen here that have lots of WOW factor have been taken with long fast lenses used with incredible care, attention, talent and skill. Good luck. Be shure to share some photos. Have some fun.

Yeah I was afraid of that. We'll see how it goes. We're right smack in the middle of migration season so maybe I'll get lucky. I'll post if I get some decent shots.

I shot a lot of wildlife ever since getting my 70-200 F/4 last summer. I find even at 200mm its tough to get close enough to get a shot with mostly just the bird...

A 100mm and a 20mm.... Tall order. However . If you and a friend / partner go to a place where the birds are REALLY used to people (local park or whatever) and used to being fed by people who frequent the area. You could have your friend/partner hold food in their hand. As the birds come in for lunch you could make an exposeure or two. you may choose to keep them in the picture or to crop them out. A little slow syc flash would also help to freeze the action while allowing the blurring of the wings as they come in for food. But a 20mm is only going to get you REAL close images.... Might be nice if it worked though...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back