Glow Snow

photobug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bimjo.com
I had about 30 seconds the other day to grab this with the Coolpix between meetings, which is why all the crap is there in the foreground. It was cooler in person, but this is what I got with the time at hand.

The sun was peeking through the clouds and making the surface of the snow look like it was glowing.

I wish I would have had time to drive the 2 miles to a clear spot closer to the mountain, especially since most of the snow is gone now.

Oh, this is the west face of Rattlesnake Mountain, if anybody cares. :)

glow_snow.jpg

Fantastic! I think the so called crap in the foreground adds interest. Stormy sunlight is very special and very elusive. Chalk one up to taking your camera everywhere. The white thing near the bottom center of the frame may be distracting.

Very nice Jim and you've also made me think (just a little!).
Quite often I've passed up shots because of "stuff" screwing up the shot so I didn't bother, maybe the higher goal is worth it sometimes.

wow!! ... i dont think i've ever seen anything like that :shock: ... u selling prints? :D

I agree about the "crap" in the foreground. It adds interest to the photo.

I missed a great shot the other day cause I didn't take my camera. :cry: Hopefully the 12" of snow we're supposed to get will actually come. :goodvibe:

It's a great shot! Kudos for having your camera ready!!

Thanks guys, you're too kind. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera the day before. The clouds were sitting right at the top edge of the mountain, looking all rolling/boiling with energy. They were there most of the day. And I had time to sneak away for an uncluttered shot.

The weather here has been so overcast for so long I got out of the habit lf taking a camera to work every day. [sigh]

Craig- the uncluttered view is better, but this crop works okay. And the white at bottom middle is a patch of snow still on the flat.

Sid- hope you take the shots anyway. While I like to try for "art" some of my favorite photos are horribly exposed, out-of-focus, and generally suck big time. But I like/keep them because even as flawed as they are they bring back pleasant memories.

Dew- Not much to print, this is a pretty severe crop. Send you the original file if you want though.

SassyFrass- (great nic!) When I decide which lens to supplement the 18-35 with (really need something quite a bit longer) I'll start dragging the *ist D along instead of the Coolpix.

The Coolpix is handy, but the amount of noise it puts in the sky & large blocks of color is really gruesome to deal with. The larger sensor of the Pentax suffers much less from this, making it a better choice for these vista type shots.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys liked it. :)

The stuff in the foreground gives it that industrial feel, which I like. It doesn't detract imho, just sortof puts this into a slightly different category. Neat shot. Sometimes you gotta take em when you can get em :)

Thanks guys for the kind words.

doxx- I tweaked the contrast slightly to bring out the dark/light on the mountainside, but that's pretty much what it looked like.

Oh, and a correction- it's the east face, not the west. Duh! :oops:

Most reactions

Back