Going rate for second shooters?

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone care to chime in on going rates for 2nd shooters? This is for contract shooting, working with the photographers card, with no rights to the images after.

I believe this would really be up to you. What you determine is fair pay for the days work and product that you produce. How much do you charge to lock in a wedding in case someone cancels the contract? I believe it would be enough to cover your expenses for that day if you did not work.
-
Shoot well, Joe

$150 to $350. I wouldnt do it though if you cant use the image. I typically have an agreement no to post the photos on social website like facebook until 5 weeks after the wedding and always credit the 1st shooter as main photographer. Just put (as 2nd photograper for ________ ). You wont learn that much if you cant use the photo. Hell, you cant even edit them. I wouldnt do it.

Im just looking for some extra income for a few lighting upgrades - I dont need to pad the portfolio. This way I have minimal time commitment, no post, no customers. I told her $75 per hour and got booked for 3 weddings. All on weekdays where I I wont be booking anything else.

$75/hr? Holy crap. She is nice. If I can get that much to 2nd shoot, I will do it for shizzle. No editing no worries. That is very generous especially on weekdays because those wedding are generally get "discounted" rate.

I hire second shooters hourly and assistants a flat rate. Rates depend on your area.

Rub, I have a feeling she probably be using you for only like 1 - 2 hours for the ceremony only. I may be wrong though.

4 hours per.

$75/hr w/o editing is fair number.
Anything less then $70, at least around these parts, means you're a jerk and under pricing the industry thats already in the sh*t hole and it really goes to about $100/hr. A lot depends on experience of the shooter.
Next you have to consider what is "2nd" means? = if all you're doing is backing up primary photog and getting few fun angles here/there, its one thing . If its a 2 crew job and you're 2nd means you're a full photog w/ full gear then its a different story - (do you need an assistant for that job?)

Bumping this thread to talk about our area. Going seconds here average 20- 30 dollars an hour to assist. Be a human light stand, grunt, carry bags, hold reflectors etc. No rights to images what so ever. Learning experience only but a paid experience. Then you have the primary photographers who are hiring an actual second shooter. These photographers get 50 - 100 an hour but will only be able to use print pieces as portfolio work etc. Some will let you so many weeks after the wedding and never on social media pages like Schwetty said. These are there in a photographers capacity expected to produce great shots and save the primary's ass in the event of a major feck up. Trying to decide if the first scenario is going to be really benificial to me or not. What has been everyone else's experience.

And just a note for KmH I actually was going to start a new post about this and for some reason you popped into my head telling me to use that neat little search box at the top of the page. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back