Gonna build me a tripod

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by mysteryscribe, Dec 19, 2006.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay not really

I'm finally sick of it enough to do something. Now that I can't get out to shoot much, I'm shooting a lot of still life. So my rickty old tripod is about to get major surgery.

The legs are stout enough that's not the problem. The problem is a large camera perched on a tiny platform, held down by an even tinier removeable plate. In other words it shakes at the connection. Quick releases aren't really made for a large field camera. So after I take my morning coffee break, I'm going out to fix that bloody tripod.

Now Before anyone says it I have more than one tripod. One is an old fashioned metal one that has a very wide base and the camera screws directly to it. I keep that one in the car. I not going to mess with it. Its a star by the way nothing fancy.

The one I am going to "fix" has a quick release. Fortunately I can pull both parts of it from the tripod, so I'm not really screwing it up too bad. Both my view type cameras have wooden bases. I made them so they aren't anything that can't be drilled or scratched.

Im thinking bolt, with huge washers, a piece of heavy wood to the tripod head. That should be secure enough. Then attach the wooden base of the camera to the platform with camps, either spring or C clamps.

Now if anyone has a better idea, please feel free to pass it on to me. I probably can undo anything I do easily enough.

I really should put a hinged two piece plate on the tripod so that I can tilt the head without lovering the front leg. Too much trouble I'll just put coins under the back of the camera before I clamp it down to make it tilt.

Before you say buy a bogan tripod, I enjoy making things.

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like a fun project. I recently wanted a copy stand, checked the prices of those available and ended up making one out of an old adjustable snack table and a scrap tripod head.

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Truth is the thing is the best tripod for still life I ever owned. Its just a piece of wood hooked to the head. The cameras I use all have wooden tracks so i just clamp them down. The head is rock steady. I have a twenty pound camera case i hang from the base of the tripod and it prevent leg movement. It looks like crap but it works perfectly.