Body to Replace Canon Rebel XT 350D?

William Baroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other day I dug out my Rebel 350D (c. 2005) because I was about to go on vacation, and I considered firing it up again. It still works. I have a couple of lenses for it. I am not a real photographer, but back when I got it, I enjoyed trying to take nice photos, and I am thinking I might want to upgrade to something with a bit more resolution.

What's a good choice for a dabbler like me? I would like to keep my lenses. I am fine with Canon.

I'm not overly excited about features. The only camera I really understood was a Yashica FX-2 some motherless punk stole. Aperture, speed, ISO...that was about all. When I wanted to take a picture, I didn't have to hold the camera with one hand and the manual with another. I guess those days are gone, though.

Last edited:
Since you most likely have EF/EF-S lenses, you might look at the EOS T7 (aka 2000D), which is a decent entry level camera and readily available for under USD $400.00 on Amazon. The T7 is normally sold with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Thanks for the help. It makes things a lot easier.

It's amazing how things less than 20 years old have become antiques. I had to look up my lenses. Both are Sigmas. One is a Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. It has been superseded at least once. It's an EF-S mount. The other is a Sigma 70mm 1:2.8 DG Macro. Amazon says it's an EF mount.

I didn't realize I could get anything good for $400. As long as we're at it, is there anything more expensive I should consider? I guess I will never really be more than an entry-level photographer, but for all I know, the question is worth asking.

So far in life, I have taken two types of pictures, which I call "artistic" and "documentary." "Artistic" means I made some effort to think about things like composition and lighting and so on, and "documentary" means things like taking pictures of pipe leaks under the house, or quick shots of my wife in front of landmarks to prove we went somewhere.

When I make an effort, I'm usually doing something like taking photos of friends at a barbecue or something else people-related. I'm not taking pictures of athletes in motion or anything really challenging. For some reason, I like taking small-scale nature shots, like bugs and flowers.

I would look for a good used T7i. It has better features and auto focus than the T7, plus an articulating screen. MPB has a number excellent condition T7i's with low shutter counts for around $400. Other reputable used sellers (KEH, B&H, Adorama) should have some at similar prices.

I took my Sony ZV1M2 out in the yard with the Rebel today to see if I really needed to carry a second camera for stills, and I found the Sony to be less versatile and trickier to use. I think it tries to do so much for me, it gets in the way.

I could not get good close-up shots of anything with the Sony.

I used the basic automatic settings on both cameras in order to avoid a week of relearning everything about the Canon.

The Rebel did really well. I'll post a shot. Pardon my lack of skill and talent. The colors were less intense than the Sony's, but I played around with Photoshop and fixed that pretty quickly. I was able to get a nice creamy background in spite of myself. I think it would be nice to have a little more resolution to play with.

I see people really like the T8i.

23 09 08 Weed Flower Canon 350D.jpg

Well, I have a new question. Should I dump the Rebel line entirely and get an R10?

I am pretty ignorant about camera developments. I just read that Canon is getting out of the DSLR business and into mirrorless. Apparently, I can get an adaptor and use a mirrorless camera with my old lenses.

How serious are you about improving your photographic skills? Many photographers think that better equipment will make them better photographers. It does not. Taking good photos is 75% knowledge and skills in the art and science of photography a bit of patience and a little luck, 15% post processing skills, and 10% gear as long as your gear meets minimum quality level and modern cell phone cameras exceed that minimum quality level. Your cell phone probably contains a better camera than your 350D, which is an 8mp camera introduced in 2005.

If you want to dabble, look at used cameras and glass first. There are several reputable online vendors. Personally, I use KEH.com. There are some great deals out there for dslrs and glass as many are trading them in to buy mirrorless cameras. IF you are serious, then the R10 is an excellent choice, but expect to spend more in glass than you do on the camera and kit lens. Note: The more modern the camera, the more functions and features with a steeper learning curve compared to, say, an entry level dslr, but there is always a way to get back to the basics of shutter speed, f stop, and ISO.

Well, I have a new question. Should I dump the Rebel line entirely and get an R10?

I am pretty ignorant about camera developments. I just read that Canon is getting out of the DSLR business and into mirrorless. Apparently, I can get an adaptor and use a mirrorless camera with my old lenses.
I use an R7 with the adapter, because all my lenses are EF, and it works very well. Having said that, I'm not sure how well older EF/EF-S lenses would perform. My Tamron 18-400mm had to have a bios update to work properly with the R7 and the adapter.

I know a better camera won't make me Ansel Adams, but I was thinking about the futility of investing in dying technology as well as the practical advantages of better light gathering, better connectivity, lighter weight, and so on.

It's not like $400 is a giant investment, so perhaps the best thing is to go to the T7 for now and get better at taking pictures. In the meantime, I can study up on the newer products. I don't think continuing to use the 350D is a great move, since it doesn't do well without a lot of light. Maybe I should think of the expense of a T7 as the cost of learning.

I got married two years ago, and we have traveled quite a bit. I have come to realize that decent photo equipment and improved skills are important investments, not luxuries. There are probably fewer than 50 childhood photos of my wife and me, combined, and there is no video. There are very few photos of my parents traveling. I think I'm pretty familiar with the wrong way to do things!

So I just pointed the 350D at my living room wall. It's not dim in here. It's 12:20 p.m., and this room has lots of windows. I'm using the Sigma 17-70mm zoom lens at 17. The ISO is at 200, and the speed is 1/125. The meter is pinned on the low side. Can I do significantly better with the T7?

The more I study this, the more I think I should abandon this thing and go to a real camera that does very well with both video and still shots. As a new family man, I am going to want good photos and videos, and I don't want to get bitten in the butt because I spent two thousand fewer dollars than I should have.

I may try the Sony A7CII when it comes out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back