Good CS5 tutorials?

julia4480

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I am a pretty noob photographer and just FINALLY got my hands on CS5 and Im super thrilled, but slightly overwhelmed, as well. I haven't found a great comprehensive online tutorial that takes me step by step and teaches me well. Does anyone here have any suggestions? If so, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you much!
Julia;)

youtube has tons of tutorials. Just search photoshop.

There are plenty out there, you just have to search! I took a graphics class and the entire thing was cs5 tutorials. good luck!

Another who really should just use a free program, more money than sense springs to mind. Ten years of Photoshop under my belt and I still find new things in this program which was shown/taught to me at college. Read all the tutorials you want, you might remember 1/2 a dozen, if that, Adobe must love these people. H

Hi! I am a pretty noob photographer and just FINALLY got my hands on CS5 and Im super thrilled, but slightly overwhelmed, as well. I haven't found a great comprehensive online tutorial that takes me step by step and teaches me well. Does anyone here have any suggestions? If so, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you much!
Julia;)
Entire books don't cover it all, let alone a tutorial.

Lynda.com costs $25 a month ($250/yr) for the basic service or $37.50 a month ($375) for the premium service.

For $99 a year you can become a NAPP member. (National Association of Phoptoshop Professionals) and get access to the members only web site that has:
  • a ton of Photoshop tutorials
  • an active Photoshop forum frequented by certifed Photoshop experts
  • a Photoshop help desk
  • 8 issues of Photoshop User magazine
  • Discounts on hardware, software and other things from Apple, Adobe, etc.
  • Discounts on training materials from the #1 Photoshop book author Scott Kelby.
  • and much, much more.
Here is my referral link: http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=luhgxq
In the upper right of the page click on "Benefits" to see a more formal listing of what you get.

Seriously, just youtube. Look up "you suck at photoshop" (don't let the name offend you, the guys sense of humor) - it's a whole series of tutorials done with humor in a way that makes sense. Oh, and it's free.

YouTube - you suck at photoshop

lynda.com is the best.

Another vote for Lynda.com here. And go straight to instructor Deke McClelland when you get there.

Start with the basic training course, then move up and build on what he's taught you as you progress in a logicallly laid out curriculum presented in a fun, hands-on learning experience all the way through to the most advanced stuff.

It's an amazingly well developed course curriculum.

I vote for Lynda.com as well. It also has training for several other things (e.g. Lightroom, Office, etc) so you can get more for your money.

Seriously, just youtube. Look up "you suck at photoshop" (don't let the name offend you,

And don't confuse adolescent "humor" with instruction.

I'll take adolescent "humor" over $250 any day of the week lol

Lynda is good, I'm sure, but I don't know why everyone is recommending something that costs that much when there are so many FREE tutorials on the net.

PS tuts are a dime a dozen. You suck as PS was just the first that came to mind. Photoshop Mama is great, iceflow studios, moymoypalaboy (*mangiggle*)... so many free tuts.

Lynda is good, I'm sure, but I don't know why everyone is recommending something that costs that much when there are so many FREE tutorials on the net.
Because it's an organized, logically laid out curriculum course that starts at "A" and ends at "Z", progressing the person through in a way that starts with the foundations and builds on what's already been learned in the previous lessons. It leaves nothing out along the way. At the end of this true training course, you've covered everything you could possibly want to know about how to use photoshop - in detail and with full hands-on training.

With YouTube and other internet tuts, you get a shotgun approach to various techniques, which is fine, but it's not even in the ball park when it comes to a comprehensive curriculum course.

It's like saying, "gee I dunno why anybody would want to pay money to go to college when you can learn anything and everything on the internet."

As for the money, it can be done for $25 a month and, depending on how much time a person is willing to put into it, can be completed within a month or two at the most.

Seriously, just youtube. Look up "you suck at photoshop" (don't let the name offend you,

And don't confuse adolescent "humor" with instruction.

I'll take adolescent "humor" over $250 any day of the week lol

PS tuts are a dime a dozen. You suck as PS was just the first that came to mind. Photoshop Mama is great, iceflow studios, moymoypalaboy (*mangiggle*)... so many free tuts.

who said you had to buy the lynda.com tutorials? you can find them pretty much anywhere on the web for free. like any other stuff.

Most reactions

Back