Good macro lens for less than $600?

photowilly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys an gals,

I bought a extension tube a while back, I spent the day Saturday at a local garden chasing butterflies and shooting flowers. I normally just shoot landscapes, but I really loved (attempting) to shoot some macro. I just had 20mm extension tube on my 18-140 kit lens, shooting with a Nikon D7100. I got some decent shots and had a blast, although it was very challenging compared to shooting landscapes.

So, what are my options for finding a decent lens under or around $600? I don't necessarily want extremely close shots, just want to be able to get flower blooms/butterflies and things like that.

Any help would be appreciated

Put the extension tube on a 50mm lens is what I do.

Stay tuned I'll be selling my Nikon 105mm 2.8 later this week. Still have to take pics of some of my for sale stuff. I've switched over to Fuji.

I just picked up a used Minolta AF 50mm f/2.8 1:1 macro lens for $15 CAD ... which is about $1 in US dollars (Ok, not really but sometimes it feels like it).

USED macro lenses--always,always used! 90mm, 100mm,105mm,150mm,180mm...those are the lengths most commonly seen. The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro models (there have been a few iterations) are gorgeous imagers; really,really "pretty" pictures, fantastic bokeh quality, and longer than average length make the 150mm a good bet for bugs, and for people pictures, the beautiful nature of the 150 Sigma macro is really,really amazing. JustJazzy has a Sigma 150 macro; it makes beautiful images!

For insects, the longer the better, IMHO.

Yup, Derrel is on the mark. I have only picked up used macro's, and they are pretty good.
I got my Sigma 150mm macro used ... and it is a really nice lens ... though I have not used it as effectively as Brents tiny macro :clap:

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Nikon AF 258306

Good length for insects as you dont have to get to close

Great lens that will work very well with your 7100. I have had one for four years and used it on a D90 a D500 and a D750. I used it as recently as yesterday in a car show. I'm pretty sure I will never be looking for another macro.

There are great Sigma Nikon and Tamron macro lenses out there in the 90 - 105 mm range, and there always seems to something for sale used. Do some research, find a lens and start shooting.

I think money is an issue here so I will actually go the other way around in what lens to recommend you.
I would recommend the Nikon 40mm 2.8G Micro, I had this lens, its a DX lens, its a very good and very sharp lens, best lens for the price range.
You can find those for 200$ used and its a true 1:1 macro lens.

I'm also in the market for a good macro lens. I'm leaning towards the new Tamron 90 (the old one has the exact same name but is also a very good lens by all accounts). If you are going after insects you might need the 'longer' focal lengths (90-105), as it gives you a little more distance to your subject. The new tamron costs about 650€, but the prices are often cheaper in the states. The older version will definitely be cheaper as they are trying to clear stock.

I think money is an issue here so I will actually go the other way around in what lens to recommend you.
I would recommend the Nikon 40mm 2.8G Micro, I had this lens, its a DX lens, its a very good and very sharp lens, best lens for the price range.
You can find those for 200$ used and its a true 1:1 macro lens.

The OP did give a budget of $600. (Which AFAIK is more than I've paid for any of my many lenses, £300 being the my most expensive)
A macro prime of around 100mm should be easy to pick up used for that sort of money. AF makes no difference for macro IMO, but would be probably useful if the lens is going to be used at greater distances.

Tokina 100mm f/2.8 ATX Pro is a very very good lens for the price. Needs a Nikon body with AF motor so no AF on 3xxx or 5xxx series cameras. Almost 1/3 the cost of a new Nikon 105mm VR.

Wow thank for all the replies everybody! I am going to do sine research now based on what I see here. Thanks

Yellow Flowers (1 of 1)-4.jpg Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro.........this lens does have auto focus but while shooting macro I use manual focus......either a tripod or if in a garden I'll hold the camera still and just move my body back and forth.......take several shots.....

Most reactions

Back