Good tripod and head for under $300?

dylj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I've just recently started getting into photography, and want to invest in a decent tripod for my Nikon D40. I would like it to be somewhat lightweight. Also, I'm 6'3", so the tripod should be tall as well. I've been finding it difficult to browse through the different tripods and heads ... can anyone help me sort through it all?

Thanks for your time!

This would be my suggestion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505863-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Sturdy, versitile and quite a popular choice.
I can vouch for this setup as it is what I have (except I have the 488RC4 ball head, virtually identical but has leveling bubbles). It will also support 17.6 lbs (8kg). I have ordered the 322RC2 head and will comment on it after it arrives and can give it a test drive. The legs are great, sturdy and will get down to 10cm. At normal position it is a good height for me (5'-10").

I can vouch for the 322RC2 Head, If you're not doing panorama's its absolutely perfect! I also enjoy my Manfrotto 190MF3 Legs, but then its carbon fibre, and lighter than the 55's. Great if you go hiking alot, though if you're in a studio setting, i agree, go with the 55's.

I can vouch for the 322RC2 Head, If you're not doing panorama's its absolutely perfect! I also enjoy my Manfrotto 190MF3 Legs, but then its carbon fibre, and lighter than the 55's. Great if you go hiking alot, though if you're in a studio setting, i agree, go with the 55's.

Works great for panning as well, If you add this little item to the bottom of it. Cheaper than Manfrottos.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-panning-base-pb70-p-17.html

The Manfrotto 725B is by far the best bang for the buck I've seen where I live. $150 new. Small, lightweight, ballhead design, excellently designed locks and snaps. Its the one I'm going to get really soon.

I hope you have the opportunity to get ahold of this tripod before you make the decision to purhase it and compare it to models that cost just a little more. If you do this you might reconsider your choice to me even though this tripod is a Manfrotto it looks pretty chincy to me compared to other models.

I hope you have the opportunity to get ahold of this tripod before you make the decision to purhase it and compare it to models that cost just a little more. If you do this you might reconsider your choice to me even though this tripod is a Manfrotto it looks pretty chincy to me compared to other models.

What he said!

I hope you have the opportunity to get ahold of this tripod before you make the decision to purchase it and compare it to models that cost just a little more.
Believe it or not I prefer this particular model to the higher-end Manfrottos we had in the store where I work. This one has a very good, strong and quick dovetail clip with sturdy-feeling quick-action locks for everything instead of time consuming and comparatively unreliable screw locks and hand cranks.

The materials also feel hardly less substantial than those used in the construction of the higher end Manfrottos we had. Not to mention that I currently own two highly-abused Optex tripods which I carry around on my bicycle in winter sleet or summer rain and they're in fine shape, so anything with a higher build quality than that must be just fine for average use.

I really do recommend this model (The 725B) over the others if we're talking bang-for-buck ratio.

This would be my suggestion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505863-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XPROB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Sturdy, versitile and quite a popular choice.

That is exactly what I have/use - mount a 70-200 f/2.8L IS with 30D+grip ... no problem

If you are going to turn camera for portraits, I would also recommend an "anti-twist plate" ... this should eat up that $25 rebate :(
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Most reactions

New Topics

Back