Good Tripod for Virtual Tours?

Big Lou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, first post...

I'm going to start a side business making virtual tours for local businesses/real estate agents. I have much of the initial stuff setup: I have a good camera, I have the software, I have a website and server (and most importantly, interest from some prospective clients).

I do also have a tripod, but it's pretty much bare bones: Newegg.com - Dolica ST-300 Tripod

I'd like to get a tripod that would make the whole process easier. Perhaps something with preset "clicks" every 15 degrees or so (if I'm explaining this right...). Also, dual axis leveling would be great. I'm not very knowledgable on tripods, and I was hoping some of you could help me out.

I don't want to spend too much, and I'm sure to many of you "not too much" is for me. I'm trying to keep the costs on this venture as low as possible.

Thanks for the help!
Brian

Good quality tripods are generally a 'two-piece' purchase; that is: You buy a set of legs, and a separate head. I would suggest going to the website of a good manufacturer such as Manfrotto, Gitzo, or Really Right Stuff. Remember that a good tripod will run several hundred dollars. A decent set of legs and head will run $300+. Don't forget to check Craig's List and other local sources for used gear.

I don't want just a good tripod. I want something that would be ideal for these virtual tours. I don't know what to look for, though. I was hoping for something that would have a compass that you can set it to stop on certain increments of degrees. Is this available?

A great many heads, especially ball heads have an indexed panorama feature which will allow you to rotate the head 'x' degrees. I'm not aware of any which have a 'click-stop' feature, but they likely exist. If you spend some time going through the manufacturers websites I have linked to, you'll probably find a number of options which will work for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back